INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does library open Read Only?  (Read 1590 times)

sgclark

• Recent member
Why does library open Read Only?
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:09 pm »

I'm a huge fan of MC, although I must honestly say I don't know much yet about it's myriad capabilities.  I'm just a fairly basic user of its Audio mode, playing both to the Player and to a DLNA device (WD TV Live, connected to my preamp).

Can someone tell me the conditions under which MC concludes it must open the library in Read Only mode?  This didn't used to happen under MC 16 (my first version).  I believe this behavior began when I upgraded to MC 17, and it persists now that I've upgraded to MC 18.

It doesn't happen if I load Main Library, but that isn't how I wish to use MC.  Since I have a Synology NAS and a couple of computers needing to play music, I have always had the library reside on the NAS rather than a local computer.  The NAS's DLNA /Music/ drive is mapped to a drive letter on both computers running MC, so it should look local to them, but both report that the library will be opened Read Only when MC is started.

Basic data:  One computer runs Windows 7-64, the other Windows XP Pro SP 3.  Both are connected by wire to the local net, as is the WD TV Live.

A secondary question:  Is there any way to remove obsolete server access keys from Gizmo?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Why does library open Read Only?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:35:42 pm »

It doesn't happen if I load Main Library, but that isn't how I wish to use MC.  Since I have a Synology NAS and a couple of computers needing to play music, I have always had the library reside on the NAS rather than a local computer.  The NAS's DLNA /Music/ drive is mapped to a drive letter on both computers running MC, so it should look local to them, but both report that the library will be opened Read Only when MC is started.

If you share a library between multiple clients directly, it's like a Word document.

The first to open gets read/write and everyone else gets read-only.

You could use Library Server if you want all the clients to do read/write (although this requires a server machine).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:46:36 am »

To remove an Access Key, try press and hold.

sgclark

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »

Thank you Matt and Jim!  Just the help I needed; you guys are awesome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up