INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loopback and MCE Remote  (Read 1138 times)

greymould

• Recent member
Loopback and MCE Remote
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »

I've set-up loopback and from what I can tell I need to control the volume via JRiver.  However, if I am watching TV using Windows Media Center (sorry - I still find Windows MCE a much better environment for watching TV), I can control the volume using the MCE remote (as it seems to change the JRiver volume in the background) however I can't use the other functionality of the remote (eg play/pause/stop) as these also get picked up by JRiver and end-up stopping or pausing the loopback.  Is there an easy way to get JRiver to pick-up the volume signals from the MCE remote, but nothing else?  I've tried to play around with the commands section in the 'Remote' options, but these don't seem to have any effect as no matter how I reprogram them, JRiver still picks up the standard signals from the MCE remote.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Loopback and MCE Remote
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:08 am »

If you don't run MC's Media Server or MC, then the remote signals should get to WMC.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:02:14 am »

If you need to run JRiver Media Server and WMC at the same time as I do for similar reasons to yourself, you might want to try changing the 'Media Key Mode' Option. Setting this to 'App Commands' fixed the behaviour I was experiencing in my setup and WMC receives all remote commands when it is in focus.

greymould

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:33 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think maybe I've not explained the problem well enough.

I can get WMC to pick up the remote control signals by playing around with the Media Key settings.  However, I then can't control the volume of loopback.  I think I have set-up loopback correctly: Windows thinks it is outputting to an unconnected on-board sound card, but JRiver then picks up this signal and outputs to my PCI soundcard.  However, from what I understand, this means that the volume now needs to be controlled within JRiver and can't be controlled through other Windows applications.

I suppose an alternative approach would be to make JRiver aware of the system volume, so when that is changed outside of JRiver it affects the loopback volume.  Is this possible, or is there no way to adjust the loopback volume when in another application outside of JRiver?  If this is the case, loopback seems a great idea, but I'm not sure how practically useful it is.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:25:12 am »

I see your problem now :-\
I use an external pre-amp along with a multi-function remote that always adjusts the processors volume regardless of source so everything is always set at max on the HTPC, is it possible for you to do something similar?

Marty

greymould

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:18:52 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately my speakers are plugged directly into my soundcard, so I can't control their volume with a separate remote.

So to conclude, does that mean it is not possible to control the volume within Windows when using loopback (without switching back to JRiver, adjusting the volume, and then switching back to the application I'm using)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up