INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what kbps should be expected on playback?  (Read 1118 times)

Boulder Bob

what kbps should be expected on playback?
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:48:24 pm »

I am attempting to rip CDs in FLAC with no compression. I want the best possible sound and don't care about file size - when I play them back they are playing in the 600 to 800 kbps range.  shouldn't they be playing at 1400 kbps?  should I be doing something differently?

I have some files ripped to WAV previously with Windows Media Player and they lock in at 1411 kbps with Media Center 18.

thanks.

Ancient_Audiophile

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: what kbps should be expected on playback?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »

FLAC always has compression, but it is "lossless", meaning that no audio information is lost (unlike MP3 which is "lossey compression", meaning that some information is lost).

The difference between the different levels of FLAC compression is simply a matter of file size, and time needed to do the compression (the more time used in making the FLAC, the smaller the file can be).

So, you should not expect 1411 kbps, because the meter is reading the file bitrate, not the uncompressed bitrate.

(Hopefully the above is all correct, as MC's team is led by one of the world's foremost experts on lossless files!)

psam

• World Citizen
Re: what kbps should be expected on playback?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:50:57 am »

Don't worry about the kbit/sec readings you see. If you rip very simple audio , such as spoken work or a guitar and voice, you may see bitrates close to MP3 bitrates!!

It is something like Zip or RAR compression of MS Office files. You have a Word file of say 600 kbytes size, and when you compress it with Winzip it shrinks to 120 kbytes.

When you uncompress it though, the document is 100% intact, you are not losing any pages, words, characters or formatting.

If you rip to .wav file type, you'l get the full cda bitrate. Whether a .flac rip sounds any diffrent from a .wav rip of the same track, is an endless discussion.

Pages: [1]   Go Up