INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caps v3 at ComputerAudiophile  (Read 6320 times)

Cazzesman

• Recent member
Caps v3 at ComputerAudiophile
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:44:54 am »

Cazzesman

• Recent member
Re: Caps v3 at ComputerAudiophile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:47:23 am »

I have recently put together the Caps V3 Lagoon from the parts lists on CA.   Installed Win8 and JRMC18.   

I couldn't be happier with the current sound.   ;D ;D    Stunning quality and the entire process has been well worth the effort.   V18 is a gem.

Regards Cazzesman

AndyV

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:14 pm »

I read those articles, but was very surprised to see in the description of the CAP3 that it was necessary to install battery power supplies to avoid audible electrical noise:

"Even though the clean battery power source of the Black Lightning was used to power the SOtM card that sends power to the USB receiver chip in the EMM Labs DAC2X I still heard harsh electrical noise through my speakers. Based on this test it appears that noise from the Seasonic PSU / motherboard combo is getting to the SOtM card via the PCIe slot's gold connectors"

I have to say I'm not impressed. Surely it shouldn't be necessary to use battery power supplies for a quiet system in a $1000 HTPC feeding an extremely expensive DAC. Does that mean all the less expensive CA projects suffer from "harsh electrical noise through [the] speakers"?

Cazzesman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »

I think the writer of that quote has been sipping the brandy under the sink.    I run my Lagoon with external 9v wall-wart to power the Sotm Pcie and use an Aqvox Low Noise Power Supply to power the USB cable from Sotm to Audiophilleo2.  AP2 is direct into a digital NAD Amp.    I'm not sure what electrical noise is suppose to sound like but I'm pretty sure none are visiting my system  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I may give a battery power pack a go in the future but at the moment I'm tooooo busy grooving on the SQ I now have.   ;)

Regards Cazzesman

AndyV

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13:26 am »

I think the writer of that quote has been sipping the brandy under the sink.   

Regards Cazzesman

Cazz, the writer of that quote was Chris Connaker himself - I quoted directly from his (long) article on the C.A.P.S V3 Carbon. I wasn't impressed that his set up was so susceptible to noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up