INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maximum number of PEQ / EQ filters in build 90?  (Read 1495 times)

BayensF

• World Citizen
Maximum number of PEQ / EQ filters in build 90?
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:12:56 pm »

Great to have "open live", now we can make full use of REW.

Through REW I have set 15 PEQ filters all basic EQ with gain and Q settings. But a bit strange to see they are not implemented/activated. If I only put 3 of them it's working.

What is it I am facing? A bug or the limitation of my processor?

I also us the first PEQ group to set my digital crossover to Input my amplifiers for my stereo 3way speakers.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: Maximum number of PEQ / EQ filters in build 90?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »

I'm using the PEQ with well over 50 filters + convolution and it's working through the loopback. The audio is choppy here and there but it's implementing my filters for sure.

You say you're using the first PEQ group to do your crossovers (channel mixing and xo filters I assume), so the second group has the eq filters?

BayensF

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:59:00 am »

Hi,

Yes what you assume is right. Thinking about it it would be better to reverse it. I just have always in mind to start with Xover to make sure I am not smoking my tweeters. So start with filters and/or convolution and next Xover.

Just another question, I use REW to create the right filters. I have tried to import text and/or WAV files into convolution, only WAV worked one time, could you send me an example of your files to see how they should look like?

And if I have a WAV running will the file only be used for streams with the same freq and bit rate?

Thanks.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:11:53 am »

Are you doing your xo in the PEQ or convolution? If it's in the PEQ, the channel mixing has to be in the top PEQ box, and at the top of the list. If you do your eq before the channel mixing then the eq will only be applied to L & R. If you xo with convolution then the Convolver has to come before the PEQ or the same applies - eq will only get applied to L & R.

When you build filters in REW make sure the preferences is set to the same sample rate you have MC set for. I have MC resample everything to 48khz so I have REW set for the same. My mic pre is also set to 48khz. I've had bitdepth issues with MC and REW before as well. I have MC set for 24 bits so I build my filters in REW at 24 as well.

That said, yes, the sample rate of the file you are playing has to match the sample rate of the wav file you are using in the Convolver. MC recently has the ability to switch automatically to the right sample rate, but I think you have to create multiple wav files compiled at the different sample rates you wish to use. I like to resample everything to 48khz so it's a non-issue for me, and I have no idea how the sample rate switcher works in MC.

All that said, are you looking for an example of the config file I use in the Convolver or just a wav file?

BayensF

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:14:28 pm »

Thanks again for the reply.

What I do is; first mix channels, then xover and then in the second PEQ I set the filters. It gets tricky when I have to set an EQ at a frequency that is close to one of the crossover points. So what I will try (upcoming weekend) is to set first the mix of channels and then PEQ before final xover.

I have a stereo setup, by mix channels I add center and sub channels to left and right. Next step Is to copy left and right to corresponding left and right side channels. After this I also copy the left to sub and right to center. At this stage I have at all channels the full signal in case it was a 5.1 format. Next is that I set high and low pass filter to have the appropriate signal to my 6 ch Amp that put the signal on my 3way speakers.

Speakers are perfect in nearfield measurement, when they are in the room it needs to have correction from 200 to 800 Hz. REW shows me what to set, sometime 16 or even 18 EQ filters depending on the settings.

Convolution could be of help, but if I can only set it up for a fixed frequency and bit rate I prefer to stay with PEQ. So here it would help to download them from a text file instead of typing them. This would be a nice add.

Any other ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up