INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum PC requirements to support digital music playback  (Read 5855 times)

jaypeecee

• Recent member
Minimum PC requirements to support digital music playback
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:47 am »

Hi Folks,

I'm new to both MC and audiophile digital music having been a dyed-in-the-wool analog guy for many years. However, I'm really excited with recent developments in digital music. I have just successfully completed building a PC-based system and the resulting sound quality is excellent. Before I started the build, I did a good deal of research to determine how powerful the PC needed to be to reliably play stereo FLAC files up to 24-bit/96kHz. It seemed that the Intel Atom D525 was a useful yardstick. Eventually, I ended up with the more powerful Intel Atom D2700 CPU.

Now to my question (phew, I hear you say!). Knowing that the MC versions 17 and 18 have a benchmark tool, has anyone determined the minimum MC benchmark that is required for reliable audiophile music reproduction?

Thanks in advance.

JPC
My digital music system is based around the Intel D2700MUD motherboard running Win 10 Home 64 bit. Output is fed from this to an asynchronous USB Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. Music files are stereo 24bit FLAC up to 192kHz. I use J River MC version 21.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Minimum PC requirements to support digital music playback
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:54:07 am »

You will be fine.  No "minimum" that I know off but plenty will talk about preventing other processing grabbing CPU cycles but I've never seen an issue with Audio on any HW level.
JRiver CEO Elect

jaypeecee

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:12 am »

Hi jmone,

Many thanks for your reply.

It would appear that pretty much any PC built in the last couple of years can handle audiophile-quality music. That is reassuring.

JPC
My digital music system is based around the Intel D2700MUD motherboard running Win 10 Home 64 bit. Output is fed from this to an asynchronous USB Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. Music files are stereo 24bit FLAC up to 192kHz. I use J River MC version 21.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:05:02 pm »

I think it is more like "last couple of decades".

A 1995 PC will do just fine.

The first five generations of iPod had CPUs that ran at 80mhz (not a typo).

One audiophile forum has had numerous discussions of the beneficial effects (in terms of sound quality) of reducing the specs of one's audio playback PC.   Which, of course, is counter-intuitive for most people.  However, it is standard for reducing power consumption - and, in fact, since audio playback is real-time, there seems to be some evidence that power availability can affect audio playback.

(Note that what JRiver MC18 requires is another story...)

jaypeecee

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:28:02 am »

I think it is more like "last couple of decades".

A 1995 PC will do just fine.
Thanks a lot.

That's amazing. I had not realized that.

Trouble with me is that I've only entered the world of digital music during 2012. I have a lot to learn. I'm getting on in years - I worked on the Dolby B noise reduction system for a while!

JPC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:46 am »

Trouble with me is that I've only entered the world of digital music during 2012. I have a lot to learn. I'm getting on in years ...
Me too.  But the best way to learn is to try it.  Just install the program on any PC you have and see what you learn.  It's like any other audio system.  The sound can be crappy or brilliant, depending on what equipment you have attached and what settings you choose.

The "Getting Started" link on our wiki might help.

jaypeecee

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 08:23:00 am »

Me too.  But the best way to learn is to try it.  Just install the program on any PC you have and see what you learn.  It's like any other audio system.  The sound can be crappy or brilliant, depending on what equipment you have attached and what settings you choose.

The "Getting Started" link on our wiki might help.
Thanks, Jim.

The sound I'm getting is superb. I have an old but excellent Technics SU-A900 MkII amp and a pair of 'speakers that I made. They use Fostex FE167E full range drivers but I've added supertweeters and I also have a good subwoofer. I used REW software to optimize the system and room acoustics. Compared with previous sources - phono, CD and FM radio - the new sound that I'm hearing from my digital system is cleaner with excellent transients, improved dynamic range and stereo imaging. I very recently downloaded the Studio Master of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. At last, I was able to listen to the tubular bells without distortion. They sound as if Mike Oldfield is in my living room!

JPC
Pages: [1]   Go Up