INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art doesn't move with songs  (Read 3957 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Cover art doesn't move with songs
« on: December 14, 2012, 04:54:32 am »

Hi all,

When you have the cover art stored inside the songs and as folder.jpg and rename,move,copy the album to another place the folder.jpg stays in the original location. This means the old folder does not get deleted. It's easy to fix with 'save cover art to external location' but could do with fixing.

Build 18.94

Ross

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Cover art doesn't move with songs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

This is a known limitation due to the current implementation.  I think it is on JRiver's list of good ideas someday list, but apparently is a lot of work.

You can resolve this yourself by creating a view that includes the cover art.  Call it a Rename view.  From this view, do all your renaming.

Configure the view to include not only the media types but also include image files .  Configure auto-import to include cover art.  And you may want it to include log files, as produced by MC, such as JRSecureRip.log.  After this, your cover art will also appear in image views by default, but it is easy to exclude these images from views (change the top-level Image view to not include your cover art, perhaps based on path location).

Ask if you want more help...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

thesmartmoney

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:25:33 am »

Hi MrC,

I too have this dilemma, how and where do I create a new view? (under playlists, audio?) do i need to import my audio and cover art into a new library?

Steve

MrC

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »

You can place the view anywhere in the tree.  Let's assume you want it under Audio.

1. View > Add View > Add Library View...
2. Select Audio under Location.
3. Select the last sample type Empty View.
3. Name the view Rename View.
4. Set the view type as Panes (under View As in the Customize View dialog).
5. Add an Artist and Album category, but you'll add each using an Expression, rather than the stock fields:

Artist (from folder) expression:  FileFolder(,1)
   Album (from folder) expression: FileFolder(,0)

( Note: ignore my Ref ID category. )

This allows you group the files based on where the live in the file system, rather than by Artist and Album fields, since your cover art will not likely contain the proper metadata (yet).  My view relies on the fact that my albums are always located in Artist\Album folder hierarchies.  And the expression grab the correct path components from MC's Filename (path) field.  You can adjust the expression to match your storage structure - ask if you need help.
6. Deselect Use parent scheme rules for file display
7. Click Set rules for file display... and set the values as shown in the screenshot.  Adjust the Filename (path) rule to match the location of your audio file + cover art.
8. OK your way out.
9. Set the Group By of the view to group by path, under Group By > More (sort groups a-z) > Filename (path).
10. Modify your auto-import rules to include image files (and possible data files) from your music/audio directory.

After MC has imported your artwork, the artwork for each album will be sorted (along with data files) will be sorted to the bottom, below the tracks.  Now, you can select the files and Rename them in one shot.  Use this view as your Rename, Move & Copy view.

The Folder rule in the Rename, Move & Copy dialog will also require using the FileFolder() expressions, unless you also tag the cover art with the fields used in the Rename tool (probably Album, Album Artist (auto), etc).   So you can go either way - tag first, and use your Audio rename preset, or ignore tagging cover art and use FileFolder() as the basis for you Folder rule expression.

Set the Base path as necessary, and the Folder rule would be:

FileFolder(,1)\FileFolder(,0)

You can disable the Filename rule as the filenames are not changing when you're only moving folders.

Since you'll be using this view, you might consider saving your Rename configuration as a Preset in the Rename dialog (at the bottom of the dialog).  This way, you can call up the settings whenever you use the view to rename.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:51:12 am »

Thanks Mr C but this does seem a lot of work just to move some files already created by MC. In your case the Folder.jpg and JRSecureRip.log which were both created by MC and must therefore be in the library. Surely it can't be too difficult to move all files associated with an album.

Ross

MrC

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:21:43 am »

Its a long debated topic, and much related to how MC is implemented.  Everything is based on a file, so things like folders which contain albums become more difficult.  There are all sorts of edge cases that require careful consideration.

Another means - use the Locate tool to find a file in explorer, and then just manually move the folder and let MC fix up the links.

thesmartmoney

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 06:04:10 am »

Hi MrC,

Thankyou for your detailed step by step response, much appreciated, the support with mc18 so far is faultless, great product.

I followed each of your steps and i think im almost there but its not moving the cover art correctly (please see attached screenshot to help explain)

I've double checked your suggested settings, any suggestions on how to rectify this? (i.e. store the cover art with the songs)

regards
Steve

MrC

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 11:56:01 am »

Apologies - I missed explaining a step, which I'll add above (in more detail) and describe here (briefly).

The rename rules will also require using the FileFolder() expressions, unless you also tag the cover art with the fields used in the Rename tool.   So you can go either way.

Set the Base path as necessary, and the Folder rule would be:

FileFolder(,1)\FileFolder(,0)

You can disable the Filename rule as the filenames are not changing when you're only moving folders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up