INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename problem  (Read 4651 times)

SThatcher

• Recent member
Rename problem
« on: June 25, 2015, 01:45:23 pm »

I use MC18 for my music database (over 100,000 tracks).  Unfortunately when trying to rename an album, I inadvertently renamed all albums with the single name.

No problem I thought I will just restore a previous version a couple of days old and then do an import to add any late additions to my library.  This I did.

However, the restored version  has not restored all the albums, with over 6,000 tracks still allocated to the old name which is incorrect.  I started to manually change these and then  I ran another import - it has reverted all 6,000 tracks back to the incorrect name (including those I changed manually) plus it appears to have deleted numerous tracks from my external drive (where I store all my music). - I cant tell how many except to say that some are now irreplaceable.

Any suggestions to stop this happening again when I run an import.  Any hope of recovering the lost tracks?

Not a happy bunny :-[

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Major Issue with MC18
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »

After you restore a backup, if the library has the correct metadata, you can use it to rename the files.  Tools > Library Tools > Rename files from properties.

It would be wise to experiment with a few files until you understand the tool.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Major Issue with MC18
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 02:04:07 pm »

When you say you "renamed an album"  do you mean you did it while editing tags, or while using the "rename, move, copy" tool?  If you mean the latter, Jim's advice is correct.  

If you just mean editing the tags (which it sounds like might be the case), you can probably fix most of it.  

You probably have MC set to automatically write info to the tags in the file.  So your error wrote the incorrect info to some number of your files (presumably in the time between when you did it and realized your mistake), which is why reimporting is changing the info (because that's what's in the files now).

Try this:

1) Temporarily turn off auto-import
2) Restore your Library backup from before the goof
3) Confirm that all the metadata is correct in JRiver
4) Select a few files and run Library Tool--> "Update Tags (from Library)"
5) Confirm that the correct metadata is still displayed for those files.
6) Repeat step 4) for all files (you can do them all at once after you're sure it will work correctly)
7) Now try running an import.

If it was just a tags issue the import shouldn't disturb any of the files already in the library, and all the files (except for files you imported after the library backup) should now have correct metadata. You'll need to manually fix the newer files.

To be clear, if you did this with the "rename, move, copy" tool the above method won't work, you'll need to fix that will other library tools.

SThatcher

• Recent member
Re: Rename problem
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 02:00:16 pm »

Thanks for your advice.  It transpired that whatever I had done had altered the original tags so I had to go through manually using JR to make all the amendments.  Only took me about 4 hours.  Now trying to locate copies of those old albums which have been deleted.

Must take more care next time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up