INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 TB Drives and MC 18  (Read 7241 times)

Rabbanah

• Recent member
3 TB Drives and MC 18
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:23:42 am »

I am a huge fan of JRiver, but was forced to switch to XBMC for lack of 3 TB hard drive support in JRiver. Am I just doing this wrong, or is it really not compatible? The 3 TB drive is an external seagate, connected to the computer through USB 2.0. However, no file will play that it is located on that drive (Files from all other drives play fine - 600 gig & 1 TB). XBMC plays the files from the 3 TB drive just fine, so the problem is definitely JRiver here. I had the same problem in MC17, and 18 didn't fix it. Has anyone gotten an external 3 TB drive to work with JRiver? If so, how?

Computer: Pentium D 2.8 GHz, 8 gig ram, Ati 5650, Win 7 x64.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: 3 TB Drives and MC 18
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:31:13 am »

There must be another issue.  I have a dozen+ 4TB drives (but connected by SATA) and they work just fine.  MC runs app the application level so does not care how big your drive is as long as the OS can see it just fine.  Couple of Q's:
- Can you browse this drive in Windows Explorer, if so:
   - What happens if you just double click on an item, will it launch and play in MC?
- Can you browse this drive from MC under the "Drives and Devices" section? if so:
   - What happens if you double click on an item that you browse to in MC --> Drives and Devices --> Explorer

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:36:39 am »

The BIOS in your PC may not support hard drives larger than 2 TB.Check the PC makers site for a BIOS update.

Bill

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:26:54 am »

I had considered that the BIOS on my machine might not support hard drives larger than 2 TB (especially since it's an older mobo and cpu), but that doesn't coincide with the fact that XBMC has no problem playing the files from the disc.

- Yes, I can browse to this device in windows explorer and within MC.
- If I click on the file whether within or outside of MC, it will play the dvd's main menu (.vob rips), but upon any selection (eg. "play" or "scenes") it will freeze and MC crashes.
- This does not happen with MP4's launched from the same drive (3TB), only .vob's
- I know that the problem is the 3 TB drive, as I made a copy of one movie (.vob folder) and copied it to the 600 GB drive. The movie played fine in MC from the 600 GB drive, but caused MC to crash when played from the 3 TB drive.

Because XBMC and windows can access the drive, I'm really lost.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:30:37 am »

So can you confirm and what will and will not play from the 3TB Drive in MC:
- Music
- Video Files
- Pics
- DVD Rips
- BD Rips
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:32:23 am »

Nevermind, you guys are too quick :P.

Sounds like the drive or files are corrupt. Open a command proimpt and run a chkdsk on that drive. Unless you specify /F on the command line chkdsk will just do a check and not attempt to fix (thats what the /F is for).

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 01:37:18 am »

Also, enable logging, cause the crash, and maybe post a txt file containing the last lines from the log at the point of crash.  The logs will be in <appdata>\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Log.txt.

Logging is under Help.

The JRiver dev's will probably ask for them anyway.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 02:01:24 am »

I don't believe the problem is with the drive, as other programs access it fine. Also, it's not the files, because as soon as a copy them off the drive and play them from another location, they work fine.

- audio files (mp3) play fine
- Video files (mp4) play fine
- Pics view without problem
- DVD rips cause MC to crash** (when playing from 3TB drive)
- BD rips play fine

**not all cause it to crash, some just start as if they are going to play and then just sit on a black screen and I am able to stop them and choose a different movie. Not one DVD rip successfully plays from the 3TB drive though.

I attached a log of a crash (I didn't know how much you needed, so I just attached the whole txt)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:26:27 am »

However, no file will play that it is located on that drive

- audio files (mp3) play fine
- Video files (mp4) play fine
- Pics view without problem
- DVD rips cause MC to crash** (when playing from 3TB drive)
- BD rips play fine

I'm confused, can you please explain better, which files play and which do not play when they are located on the 3TB drive?

Is it always the case that when you copy a file that doesn't play from the 3TB to another drive it plays with MC?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:03:04 am »

I am a huge fan of JRiver, but was forced to switch to XBMC for lack of 3 TB hard drive support in JRiver. Am I just doing this wrong, or is it really not compatible? The 3 TB drive is an external seagate, connected to the computer through USB 2.0. However, no file will play that it is located on that drive (Files from all other drives play fine - 600 gig & 1 TB). XBMC plays the files from the 3 TB drive just fine, so the problem is definitely JRiver here. I had the same problem in MC17, and 18 didn't fix it. Has anyone gotten an external 3 TB drive to work with JRiver? If so, how?

Computer: Pentium D 2.8 GHz, 8 gig ram, Ati 5650, Win 7 x64.

Mate, I've got one of these units (3TB version) hooked up to my system right now via a USB 3.0 port and it's recording a TV program to the external HDD via JRMC18.0.94 -
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/expansion-hard-drive/

The HTPC is running:
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (Single User)   V6.01  Build 7601  Service Pack 1  MotherBoard Zotac H67ITX-C-E  
[1.33GHz Dual DDR3 RAM]  8.00GB
LGA-1155 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2105 CPU @ 3.10GHz

I very much doubt that J River (by itself) is the problem. Anything more than that, I'll leave to the experts. Hope you sort it soon ...  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:09:02 am »

Yeah, just to clarify: On other drives - every file plays fine from other drives in MC and any other program. On the 3 TB, every file plays fine in other programs and MC, except DVD rips (.vob), which do not play in MC, but do play in any other program. In other words, the only thing that does not work: playing DVD rips from the the 3TB in MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:57 am »

I have 4 3TB drives that I use with MC every day (standalone drives, not part of a RAID).

This makes no sense.  User-space software doesn't care about that, unless it is doing low-level formatting/cleanup stuff (like a disk utility from back in the day).  MC certainly does not.  Something else is going on.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:56 am »

Glad to see everyone is as confused as me. ;) I agree that it doesn't make sense. I would chalk this up to a drive/mobo incompatibility in no time if only everything else didn't work fine. I might just give up and get 2x2tb drives and just use my 3TB as a backup.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:31:02 am »

When you say JRiver doesn't see the drive, are you using Tools > Library > Import to import from the drive? If you are browsing from Windows Explorer you might not be able to use shell extensions unless you have the 18.0.88 or newer. Due to some command line changes, it wasn't working for several builds.

I have the Seatgate 3TB external drive and ordered another one yesterday. It works fine for me with JRiver, but I just built a new HTPC a month ago.

I also installed an internal 3TB drive in a friend's computer. It only recognized 2TB of the drive until I installed and ran Seagate's DiscWizard. This installs a device driver that allows you to use the full capacity of the drive. I was able to use the drive as a boot drive even thought the motherboard is 3 years old and doesn't support 3TB drives. The USB protocol, though, is supposed to make this a moot issue with external drives.

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:40 am »

I can't remember if I installed that (seagate wizard), but I'll try it out. And I never said JRiver couldn't see the drive, it just can't play DVD rips from it. It see the drive just fine, all the DVD rips on the drive are in my library.

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 10:01:00 am »

I tried installing the seagate discwizard and it told me: "The entire space is accessible: there are no Seagate/maxtor hard discs with MBR partition style larger than 2 TB in your system or sector's size on your disc is larger than 512 KB. All Hard drives can be managed by Add new disc tool." I guess that's not too surprising, since I can in fact see the whole 3 TB in windows already - although I don't remember what i did to make that work.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 10:35:30 am »

Lets check permissions on the drive and folders and check the owner while we're at it.

Maybe MC is more picky about the permissions on the files it plays than XBMC is.

If you don't care about having permissions for multiple users on the drive (ie, you're the only one whos using the drive) then follow the steps below. If you do have multiple users setup and they have their own folders on that drive, then obviously do not continue! This also asumes your user account is a member of the Administrators group.

The following steps will replace the owner and all permissions on all files and folders with the administrators group:
-right click the drive
-choose security tab
-choose advanced button
-choose owner tab
-click edit (on vista/win7)
-select administrators (plural, 2 puppets)
-tick Replace owner on subcontainers and objects (meaning, all folders and files :P)
-click OK

If you get popups about taking full control etc, click Yes. If it can't make the change on an object (error pops up), take note of the file/folder and click continue.

When that is done, click OK (we need to reopen the properties window)

-Right click the drive again
-choose security tab
-Click advanced
-click change permissions
-select administrators or (add) your user name if you're not a member of the administrators group
-click edit
-verify all Allows are checked
-verify that 'Apply to' is set to 'This folder, subfolders and files'
-click OK
-check Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object
-Click OK
-Read the warning, choose Yes if you trust me :P
-if you get an error, take note of the file it mentions and click continue
-click OK
-click OK

If your account is not a member of the Administrators, try that as well. For the above to make sense, you need to be administrator. You probably can't even do this if you're not an administrator but still, check it if you're not sure.

Try playing and importing files again with MC.

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 12:21:49 pm »

Worked! You are brilliant! I never would have guessed that it could be caused by file permissions.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 03:10:30 pm »

Thanks, it just dawned on me I guess ;D

Glad it worked out for you.

Rabbanah

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »

Well, I spoke too soon. It worked for some odd reason that first time I tried, but its crashing or just failing to play every time again.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 10:30:07 am »

I'm sorry to hear that.

I guess everyone's at a loss ...  ?

Is your system overclocked? If so, restore BIOS defaults after you record all the current settings so you can easily restore the overclock.

I'm trying to think about what I would do if this would be my external harddisk ... first thing I'd probably try is backing it up, repartitioning/reformatting it and (re)testing it on other pc's.

I would test it with other software (do SMART counters work on USB drives?), try diagnostic tests/software (ie, from the drive manufacturer).

If that doesn't bring clarity, I would probably get grumpy and somewhat impatiently remove the drive from the USB casing and install the disk as an internal harddisk into one of my pc's. I'd do some prelimanary testing, checking SMART counters and then wipe it, recreate the boot record, partition table and repartition/format it. Then I'd test the drive as an internal drive.

In 99,9% of the cases an internal disk works fine in an USB case so if there are no issues as an internal drive I would remove it from the pc and install it again in its USB casing and try again.

I'm not saying this is how you should proceed, its probably what I would do. I can't really think of anything else. I do not believe this is an MC-issue. The way it stands now I believe its a hardware or driver issue that is very specific and simply doesn't show with the programs you use. An example of this is something I experienced with an overclocked system: it worked in Windows, full runs of Memtest and Prime95 for 24 hours but a Linux Live Boot DVD would not run. Restoring the overclock would allow the DVD to install and once installed, the overclock could be enabled again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up