INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linn DS and J RIver Media Centre  (Read 6178 times)

AndyV

• Recent member
Linn DS and J RIver Media Centre
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:12:54 am »

Hi - I'm thinking of getting a Linn DS network music player - most probably an Akurate DSM - and would like to use (the superb) MC 18 as a UPnP server for it (and probably JRemote as a control point). Anyone have any experience of using a Linn DS with MC? Any issues? Gapless playback for example?

_noel_

• Recent member
Re: Linn DS and J RIver Media Centre
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:12:30 am »

I'm using a Linn ADS with JR 17 together with the Catwalk plugin and JRemote on an iPad.
This is the best combo since 2-3 years of struggling with other UPnP servers and control points (Kinsky, Asset UPnP Server and CP, several others).
The JR/Catwalk/JRemote stuff is tons better than everything, which I tested with Lnn DS up to now.
The JR degree of freedom to define individual views is awesome !!!

Regards
Ebe

AndyV

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:05 pm »

Hi - thanks - agree with you about the freedom to define views; for me that puts MC in a different league and then some from other servers.

But I can't understand why you need Catwalk - can you not just use MC as a UPnP server? What does Catwalk bring to the party? Is it needed with JRMC18?

_noel_

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »

Yes, you can use JR as an UPnP server, but then you have to use a "standard" UPnP Control Point (like Kinsky for iPad), but JRemote will not work as an CP for this configuration.

If you use Catwalk, then you use the "standard" JR playback mechanism and Catwalk will do the UPnP part for the Linn DS. Then you can use JRemote as an remote control for JR (and thus for the Linn DS). One big advantage of this configuration is: The pure UPnP "Server - Control Point - Renderer" stuff is a "one way street" by UPnP design  :(  e.g. you cannot rate music tracks with stars while playing. Using Catwalk & JRemote the stuff works "two way": you can star rate tracks with JRemote while playing and these ratings are stored in the JR database (and in the music files if you want). By using Catwalk the Linn DS works as a "master", it has the whole playlist "onboard" and fetches the tracks from the UPnP Server (JR & Catwalk). When the whole playlist is in the Linn DS, you can also use the "next", "prev" track buttons of the original Linn DS remote control, you can navigate through the whole playlist with the remote and the Linn DS display.
I have tried to get this to work without Catwalk (then JR is the "master" and feeds the LinnDS track by track), but I never got gapless playing to work and without Catwalk you only have the current playing track in the Linn DS playlist / display.

Regards
Eberhard

AndyV

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:14:19 am »

Thanks _noel_ - I had a feeling that gapless playback might come into it. Is there a reason you are still with JRMC17? Should catwalk still work with JRMC18?  And happy New Year!

_noel_

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:20:21 am »

I have not installed JRv18 up to now because v17 works fine for me ( don't touch a running system ;))
The developer of Catwalk said that Catwalk should work with JRv18 (may be you have to configure the firewall manually).
I think I will try JRv18 in a few weeks, when my other computer projects are finished ...
Happy new year also

Eberhard
Pages: [1]   Go Up