INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enable Theater View Display on TV Screen  (Read 2378 times)

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
Enable Theater View Display on TV Screen
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:27:22 am »

Hi,
Just wondering , if there is any way to get the J River Theater View ( Front End to display on a TV Screen, other than by Physically
connecting say a lap top running Media Center and have it Hard wired to the screen ??
The User Interface displayed on the screen would be brilliant....

Anyone ?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Enable Theater View Display on TV Screen
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:40:00 am »

I'm not sure I understand your need. You want to use another client somewhere, to display it's Theater View on your TV? You do not have a client next to your TV. Is that it?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:53:48 am »

Hi at present I use just river on my pc.... It's networked to a Yamaha receiver which is great to be able to push or pull audio using Gizmo. Also able to use the amp itself to be able to see my music on the network what I really would like is to be able to have the front end display that you get on your pc to be able to be  displayed direct to the display on my TV as the gui.

csimon

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:35:39 am »

You can only get the J River GUI by running J River on a PC, therefore the only way you can get it on a TV is to connect a PC to a TV.  It doesn't have to be the main PC, you can use another PC as a client to connect to the library on your main PC.

Other than that, you can use a media player such as the WD TV Live which will display its own interface on the TV and connect to J River via DLNA, but it may not be as pretty or as flexible as you are used to.

Note that there are also HDMI-over-Ethernet or CAT 5 solutions, which will allow you to phsyically connect a PC in another room to a TV, but these are expensive.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:05:13 pm »

I currently have my MC on a dedicated pc connected to a monitor and tv (using hdmi). The video card is an ATI. I changed setting in the ATI software to use dual monitors. Works perfectly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 02:43:03 pm »

what I really would like is to be able to have the front end display that you get on your pc to be able to be  displayed direct to the display on my TV as the gui.
And how would you display the MC GUI on the TV without a computer? I don't understand that. You'll have to make the manufacturers of the TV's to improve GUI of their DLNA services then. It will take plenty of years before it's on par with MC I'm afraid. Most of TV's today, as well as the receiver you mention, have capabilities like DLNA. But their GUI sucks big time, and the responsiveness of such is laughable at best. That's why people use HTPC's. Preferably with MC :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Valephar

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:17:27 am »

And how would you display the MC GUI on the TV without a computer? I don't understand that. You'll have to make the manufacturers of the TV's to improve GUI of their DLNA services then. It will take plenty of years before it's on par with MC I'm afraid. Most of TV's today, as well as the receiver you mention, have capabilities like DLNA. But their GUI sucks big time, and the responsiveness of such is laughable at best. That's why people use HTPC's. Preferably with MC :)

Whoa :D Glad I found this post. I've been searching almost 3 hours for this topic.

I am still using the Trial Period. Very happy with the program. I am going to buy it. :)

The problem I am having is that my TV room and my PC room are not the same room and quite far apart. So, I was also wondering about this exact topic.

However, I REALLY love the theater view mode in order to access my series, movies, etc and the tagging with art, etc. I thought that maybe it would be a good idea for J River to release an App for TVs, Blu-Ray players, etc, even if it costs a bit extra, that would allow you to basically get the Theater Mode on your TV reading the files either via WI-FI or cable network from your library on your PC.

I would really love this feature/app. Maybe they could implement this app with the new PS4 or Xbox One 8). I don't really want to keep my PC in my TV room, I suppose that I could use my Laptop to stream the content with JRiver installed, but sometimes I use my laptop for other things.  :D

Do share your thoughts and comments.?. ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:26:14 am »

The problem I am having is that my TV room and my PC room are not the same room and quite far apart. So, I was also wondering about this exact topic.

However, I REALLY love the theater view mode in order to access my series, movies, etc and the tagging with art, etc. I thought that maybe it would be a good idea for J River to release an App for TVs, Blu-Ray players, etc, even if it costs a bit extra, that would allow you to basically get the Theater Mode on your TV reading the files either via WI-FI or cable network from your library on your PC.

I would really love this feature/app. Maybe they could implement this app with the new PS4 or Xbox One 8).

You can do that now, but you have to use a computer connected to your TV rather than a consumer electronics device.  The CE devices run mainly Linux now and each manufacturer has their own implementation of a DLNA Renderer.  Most are fairly primitive.

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:37:24 am »

PPl used to run custom ROMs on their WDLive's I don't know if these have improved in terms of their DLNA capability, but I have seen some nice "Sheets" (as they were called) for movie layouts including fanart, covers and IMDB info, as well as mediainfo (eg bitrates, channels, etc).

As JimH says, it is up to the Renderer to provide the GUI as well as play the media. Most GUIs built into TVs are very basic for their network connected media, so will not show series and seasons well, etc.

One solution could be a Rasberry PI I guess. They have xbmc which I assume has DLNA capability.
I think I read somewhere that JRiver are looking to unix (linux etc) support, so maybe low power / CE device solutions will be provided right here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up