INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync JRMC18 music library to iPhone  (Read 5872 times)

bassmann

• Recent member
Sync JRMC18 music library to iPhone
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:13 am »

Hi there,

I was wondering what's the best way to sync my iPhone 5 to my music library in JRMC18?
My aim is to sync so i can play the iPhone in the car which has USB or iPhone connectabilty.

The only consideration is my music library is mostly flac format (therefore do I need to convert format first or is there an iPhone plugin/app that will handle flac on iPhone).

Cheers,

Bassmann

bassmann

• Recent member
Re: Sync JRMC18 music library to iPhone
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:44 am »

add to the last post...

The iPhone is set for Wifi on the same network as the JRMC18 Server, so can I sync wirelessly. Happy to buy an app to do this if necessary.

Bassmann

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Sync JRMC18 music library to iPhone
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:59:43 am »

Apple doesn't allow adding music to the iPhone using any method other than iTunes.

Nothing any third party can do.

You might want to look at jail breaking it...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:27 am »

The best way to sync your iPhone to a MC Library is to use iTunes as the sync engine.

Here's a brief review of what I've done...

1. Get prod's great MC iTunes Sync tool.
2. Make a new Handheld in MC which points to a folder on disk, and select Smartlists for it which will sync your entire library over to the folder (except any stuff which you never want to go onto the phone).  This will handle the conversion from unsupported file types (like FLAC and APE and whatnot), and will ensure that iTunes never touches the original source files (and possibly screws up the files).
3. Sync this Handheld over to your folder.  Make sure this folder is NOT in your MC Auto-Import path.  You don't want these files in MC, only iTunes.
4. In MC, construct a calculated field (ask for help) that will make a field in each file that points to it's corresponding "handheld version" for MCiS.  There are instructions for using this feature included with MCiS in the PDF documents.
5. Set up MCiS to only sync this same Smartlist set used in the handheld definition above (this is a command line option for MCiS, again, see the help document).
6. Set MCiS to sync whatever fields you want to persist between the two libraries, and set it up (via the Windows Task Scheduler) to run on a recurring schedule automatically.

If you follow these basic steps, you'll end up with essentially an iTunes Library that is "synced" to your MC library.  However, the iTunes Library will point at its own "versions" of the files (which does "cost" extra disk space, but it is worth it for the safety, IMHO).  If you set up ONLY that one Handheld in MC, you can even schedule the sync in MC to recur automatically (ask and I can explain how).

Then, you just sync your iDevice to iTunes like normal.  It never needs to "touch" MC directly, but you can still keep things like Ratings and Playcounts in sync.

It is challenging to get set up initially, but once you do, it works quite well.  I've had mine set up for a LONG time now, and I never really need to touch it.  I just have iTunes set to auto-launch-and-sync when I plug in my devices, and it works.

At some point, I'm still planning to build a screencast showing my setup for this in detail, but I've been bogged down working on my auto-conversion system lately.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

aRCLiGHT

• Recent member
  • What!?!?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:07:44 pm »

Seriously!  Why not just avoid purchasing from Apple.  What a bloody hassle!!!
aRCLiGHT

bassmann

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:21 am »

In my case the iPhone is provided by my employer. I only have the choice between a Blackberry or iPhone so I went with iPhone.

Cheers,

Bassmann

bassmann

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 12:48:54 am »

The best way to sync your iPhone to a MC Library is to use iTunes as the sync engine.

Thanks Glynor - I'll have a look at this, but I've found I have another issue to tackle first.

Seems my car wont detect my iPhone 5 as a media player although it does for iPhone 4.
- With the iPhone 4 the car has its own iPhone cable to connect
- with the new apple lightning cable atm, i can only correct via the USB input in the car (rather than the apple input) which isn't picking up the media player.

I guess i'll need to get in touch with the dealer and find out if its a cable or software thing.

Thanks,

Bassmann

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:49:19 am »

- with the new apple lightning cable atm, i can only correct via the USB input in the car (rather than the apple input) which isn't picking up the media player.

That's more rare, but your car probably uses the analog output from the old-style dock connector (rather than reading the digital output).  In that case, you need one of these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

That'll fix you right up.  The adapter contains a DAC, which converts the digital output from the lightning connector to analog, and supports older-style players that need the analog-out.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:51:37 am »

Actually, once you get it set up (which is a hassle, I admit), it works fine with no further hassle.

Frankly, if JRemote adds an offline cache at some point, I won't care about syncing at all anymore.  For now, I use JRemote for music playback the vast majority of the time.  I basically only use the built-in player for audiobooks or if I'm going somewhere where cell service is spotty or unavailable (like an airplane).

Pages: [1]   Go Up