INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jmone, you think you can do me a favor?  (Read 4387 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Jmone, you think you can do me a favor?
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:57 am »

Would you mind telling me your Madvr settings and use something like Speedfan to record the GPU temperature and fanspeed during a bluray movie playback (1,5 to 2 hours uninterrupted)?

If you're willing to do this, I can walk you through configuring speedfan and I'll PM you my email address to send the (zipped) logfile to.

I'm asking because soontm I may want to upgrade my videocard in the htpc and I'm considering the 660. But I'm concerned about the temperatures/fan speeds for the noise. If I can get an idea about those during a movieplayback that would be great.

I realize your case is different, but I think I can still get a rough idea of how hot it would run in my case (unintentional pun :P).  Even if I have better cooling it still won't cut the temperature by 50% if the load is 75% for example.

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Jmone, you think you can do me a favor?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:00:45 pm »

Here are some specs after running a VC-1 NTSC Interlaced Concert (toughest stuff I have) with madVR doing the Deinterlacing using Windows Overly mode and Jin3+AR for Chroma and Image upscaling.  Was running for about 20min (have to go) but it is about the same after hours (once left it on overnight) but today is pretty cool.  This card it not a quiet as the 550Ti I had but the 550Ti could not use Jinc3 + AR + Deinterlace the 1080/60i stuff (was "just" ok on 1080/50i). 

Can test more later today if you want more info.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:15:33 pm »

Here is the same clip on the 550TI (only ran a minute as the dropped frames make it unwatchable).
JRiver CEO Elect

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:28:40 pm »

Wow! I didn't expect such high GPU load on the 660. I'm still considering a 650Ti, but according to NVIDIAs graph the 660 is faster by a factor of 3:2 suggesting about a 90% load for 60i, a bit close to max for comfort.

Do you think I could get away with a 660 on my HTPC with only a 400W PSU??

Interesting that one uses 300Mb less memory than the other.

SBR

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 10:35:06 pm »

The problem is what "may" come.... Till Madshi introduced Jinc3 + AR there was nothing that a 550Ti could not handle and it was cheap, quiet, low power etc etc.  Nice Card, but the 50i stuff was around 90% and just a little additional push on 60i broke playback so I'd agree that running a card close to the top does not give you much overhead.... and then madshi will introduce AR+ and you would be buying a new card again.  My PS in the Shuttle s a "80 Plus 300W" that runs not only the 660 (only requires 1 power cable), but an i7, SSD, and BD Drive all fine.  I'm not has happy with the 660 as I was the 550 as it is noisier, bigger (real cram to get it into the case - bits pushing on each other etc) but .... the 550Ti was just not powerful enough - compromises have to be made!

Also if you don't play any 60i stuff then .... who cares or if there was a way where you could pick and choose what madVR to apply by content specs (else you could just turn off the AR for this stuff ...) you might be good.

You might want to PM SamuriHL on this thread as he recons he got a 550Ti playing 60i stuff without maxing out.
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:16:44 am »

Thanks Nathan! Appreciate you taking the time to get me some info.

Just to be sure, were those screenshots made during the last minutes of playback or was playback already stopped?

I 'think' that fanspeed for the gpu doesn't really 'need' to be that high for the temperature. What is the fanspeed if the machine sits idle?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:33:40 am »

Yup it was while playing the content.  When in idle they ramp down almost immediatly.
- 660 is reporting 51 degrees, 21% fan at 1110rpm (just finished playing content)
- 550Ti is reporting 37 degrees, 45% Fan, 1170 rpm (just doing normal desktop duties)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:34:32 am »

I should point out the 550TI is in a big desktop case with lots of fans.  The 660 is in the tiny shuttle with the one ICE fan.
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 04:01:30 am »

I wonder if a 660Ti would run cooler with lower fanspeeds when dealing with the same load as a regular 660.

That would make sense wouldn't it?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 04:34:38 am »

FYI  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 05:45:45 am »

My GTX 580 on a PAL DVD 50i ... all Jinc 3 + AR + deinterlacing.

After 45 mins GPU temp is 75 C, fan at 30% (1560RPM) with an average load of 40%.

I don't know ...

Performance of my 580 is very similar to a 660, it just draws twice the power :o

The 660Ti actually doesn't do better than a regular 660 under similar circumstances, it draws more power and shows higher temperatures and I think I know why too. The 660 is a Gk106 and the Ti is a borked Gk104. So I think a 660 should do quite a bit better than my 580.

I think I'll stick with the GT430 for now, just won't be able to deinterlace and will have to settle for Lanczos 3 + AR. Not like thats a punishment :D.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:37:11 pm »

Yeah the 660 is not a cheap card.  I did not mind swapping cards around so much prior to then as they were about $100.  It is worth contacting SamuriHL to see how he got a 550Ti going on 60i stuff.  It was (just) fine) on 60i so I upgraded for the sake of only a few bits.
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:10:42 am »

I wonder how well madvr runs on Crossfire.

Unfortunately the low end nvidias (GT 640 f.i.) have SLI disabled. Greedy marketing I guess but ATI does have some good low end cards with CF. For instance, a Sapphire Radeon 6570 Silent 1GB. Passive card, around 50 euros with CF.

A 6570 is about 40% faster than a 430 and placing them in CF doesn't double the speed. A CF combo of a 6570 is still less than half the speed of a 660 so that doesn't quite cut it for the heaviest material.

But ... a 7750 also comes as a passive model these days and also supports CF. 2 of these should perform as good if not better than a 660. 2 of these is about as expensive as a good 660.

But only if CF is supported for videoplayback. I have no idea about that.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 01:27:07 am »

Do you have any 1080/60i material anyway (US convert videos or shot for TV stuff).  If not a 550Ti is "just" good enought.  Else you don't need something twice as powerful (like the 660), but something say 20% more powerful than the 550i.
JRiver CEO Elect

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:21 am »

I've no idea how well crossfire works with madVR. You'd just have to try...

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:46 am »

Thanks madshi, a bit expensive though to just "try" but who knows, I've done crazier things than that ;).

Do you have any 1080/60i material anyway (US convert videos or shot for TV stuff).  If not a 550Ti is "just" good enought.  Else you don't need something twice as powerful (like the 660), but something say 20% more powerful than the 550i.

No I know, but the 430 can't do deinterlacing properly and shortly after I got it Jinc and AR was introduced. I don't want to get something that can barely do that and then in 6 months time something else turns up that doesn't work properly. I made the mistake with the 430 and I don't want to make it again and get some headroom in there.

Also I decided I don't want any more fans, the htpc makes enough noise as it is already  ::)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:30:34 am »

Who knows what magic madshi will come up with next!  I did toy with adding a watercooler to the GPU but.....
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 09:36:53 am »

Thanks madshi, a bit expensive though to just "try" but who knows, I've done crazier things than that ;).

I have two nearly identical 6870 cards (one in the HTPC and one downstairs), and I could possibly be convinced to run a test.  I'm ripping the HTPC apart here shortly anyway to do a motherboard swap.

My guess is that Crossfire (and SLI) will only use one of the two GPUs.  But maybe not...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:25:02 am »

I have two nearly identical 6870 cards (one in the HTPC and one downstairs), and I could possibly be convinced to run a test.  I'm ripping the HTPC apart here shortly anyway to do a motherboard swap.

My guess is that Crossfire (and SLI) will only use one of the two GPUs.  But maybe not...

You know if I could I'd mow your lawn and fetch you beer while you're at it but I would have to travel half the globe to do so.

Maybe I can order you a pizza or put a smile on your face with a gift certificate? :P Or something else, whats on your mind?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:17 am »

Or something else, whats on your mind?

glynor will soon need either a wet towel, or a six pack of Dogfish Head ale.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up