INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Numerical Genre tags after iTunes import  (Read 1048 times)

Brovig

• Recent member
Numerical Genre tags after iTunes import
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:39 am »

After importing an iTunes library some of my albums/songs show up with a numeric Genre category, e.g. 32 instead of "Classical". How/why would that happen? Different versions of tag protocol?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Numerical Genre tags after iTunes import
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:19:24 pm »

Take a look at a file's physical tags.  Select the file, open Tag Action Window, click on the first line (which is the file format).  A new window will be open, which shows the physical tags as they exist in the file.  Is Genre set to 32 there?  If so, you have your answer.

If you're not sure about the tags, copy/paste them here and someone will comment.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Brovig

• Recent member
Re: Numerical Genre tags after iTunes import
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:31:19 pm »

Many thanks for your help. I did as you suggested and I found both ID3v1 and ID3v2.4 tag info. In one instance, where genre displays as Alternative in iTunes and shows up as 20 in MC18, the Genre was assigned just the numeric 255 for v1 and 20 for v2.4. In neither case any text.

Another album for the same artist and same genre had a genre value of <Alternative (20)> for v1 and just the text <Alternative> in v2.3. Yet another album for the same artist had no v1 info at all and had a value of <Alternative> in v3.2.

In conclusion, I guess iTunes somehow inteprets numeric values into a text while MC18 displays the content as it is? Not unreasonably!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up