INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MADVR reports: Creating Direct3D device failed (8876086C)  (Read 11324 times)

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
MADVR reports: Creating Direct3D device failed (8876086C)
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:10:00 pm »

I am now getting this error message whenever I try to play a DVD.  It only happens with ROHQ, works okay with RO.  No problems with ROHQ before v120 .. so maybe something in MadVr has changed in the last couple of releases that would cause this problem?

mykillk

• World Citizen
Re: MADVR reports: Creating Direct3D device failed (8876086C)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:05:32 pm »

Can you play other videos types with ROHQ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47:10 pm »

Craig, I had/have the exact same problem.  Same error code, only affecting ROHQ (not ROStandard), and it started immediately after a Media Center update.  Two fixes that worked for me:

1) Try creating a new zone and see if DVD playback works in that zone.  I have two zones with identical settings (I checked carefully) one plays DVD's and Blurays in ROHQ, the other gives me the exact error you're getting every time (still). 

2) If that doesn't work, the other fix I found was to (first) back up your library including your settings.  Then completely uninstall JRiver and reinstall it.  Then restore your library and settings.  That fixed my issue once, but it started happening again a few updates later, so I tried my "zone" fix, which has worked to date.

I still can't figure out why some zones work for me, while other zones don't (even with apparently identical settings).

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »

1) Try creating a new zone and see if DVD playback works in that zone.  I have two zones with identical settings (I checked carefully) one plays DVD's and Blurays in ROHQ, the other gives me the exact error you're getting every time (still).  

I still can't figure out why some zones work for me, while other zones don't (even with apparently identical settings).

I wonder if this might have had something to do it. From the .121 changelog:
10. Fixed: The default zone could appear to have its settings reset if no zones were ever created or destroyed (settings will be back with this build).

It would explain why a clean install of an earlier build fixed the problem, but only temporarily. Perhaps an uninstall / clean install to build .122 will fix this problem for good?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »

I wonder if this might have had something to do it. From the .121 changelog:
10. Fixed: The default zone could appear to have its settings reset if no zones were ever created or destroyed (settings will be back with this build).

It would explain why a clean install of an earlier build fixed the problem, but only temporarily. Perhaps an uninstall / clean install to build .122 will fix this problem for good?

I had two zones before my problem started, although the zone that has the problem is my "default" zone.  I've had this problem for a bit now, so I doubt it's related to a new build issue, I started two threads about it in the past.  

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76927.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77277.0

In fact, your previous advice to me (which worked!) was "reinstall and see what happens" :-)

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:00:56 pm »

Yea I remember. Did you get your settings all back to where they were before?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »

Yes, I found the auto library back up from three days prior which was close enough.  Someone else also pointed out that Library backup (with "save settings" selected) will give you an "on the spot" settings snapshot for settings retention purposes. I used that on a subsequent reinstall and it worked perfectly.

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:20:35 am »

Yes, creating a zone now plays all DVD's.  So it looks like when an update is done MadVR uses the zone settings to play a DVD and those settings have been 'reset', but not reloaded.  When a new zone is created it must use a set of default settings the work okay.  So seems like the install program needs to not only reset the zone settings but should also reload the new settings.

This only happens with DVD's .. Bluray movies are okay.  So like you said above, the default zone (player) cannot play DVD's, but Player (zone 2) does play everything.

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 01:28:26 am »

I was just thinking .. if creating a new zone loads in new settings .. can we:

a) delete the default zone and recreate it?  Then I could get rid of the second zone I had to create to play DVD's, or

b) is there some sort of reset or 'zone' load where you could save the second zone that works, select the first zone and reload the saved settings from the 2nd zone.

Maybe this would help to identify what settings are not being reloaded.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »

I was just thinking .. if creating a new zone loads in new settings .. can we:

a) delete the default zone and recreate it?  Then I could get rid of the second zone I had to create to play DVD's, or

b) is there some sort of reset or 'zone' load where you could save the second zone that works, select the first zone and reload the saved settings from the 2nd zone.

Maybe this would help to identify what settings are not being reloaded.

As far as I know, there is currently no way to copy a zone.  You can save all your settings (for all zones) with library back up, but there is no way to just copy one zone's settings when creating another one.  The feature has been requested, but is not yet available, or I'd have already done exactly what you just described :-)

I don't know if you can delete the default zone, I've never tried, but you could use zoneswitch to bypass the default zone for all media automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up