INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-channel encoding for SPDIF output? Feature request if possible?  (Read 3458 times)

NoDigital

• Recent member

I have a setup of a media PC (Asus H77 board with onboard SPDIF) and GTX650 which is sending HDMI including audio to a Yamaha YSP-2200 sound bar and on to a TV.  The issue I have is that on sleep/resume of the PC it forgets about the multichannel availability and always assumes 2 channel audio (An issue of HDMI communication between devices).   I had presumed that sending audio via SPDIF would solve the problem and it partially does, albeit only for bit streaming of AC3/DTS content.  Using other multichannel media doesnt work because, AFAIK, SPDIF cannot send multi-channel PCM.

I've seen a few AC3 multichannel encoders (AC3Filter for example http://ac3filter.net/) that appear to encode for SPDIF which I presume would allow the correct transmission however the issue I find is that they appear not to work in the bounds of the DSP mixing limitations.

What I'd like to suggest is that its would be ideal if within the audio chain there was the ability to remix.  So, the Output Format is just the chain format at that point with the possibility to apply an seperate output format later on.   This approach would also work for plugins that provide Dolby Headphone or other HRTF multi-channel surround codecs that have multi-in, stereo out.    In my case, it would then be possible to take multi channel audio sources (Irrespective of source encoding), video clock and audio correct then format to AC3 for optical transmission.

Make sense?   Is this possible?  (If it is, I've got a fist full of USD waiting for the upgrade version :-)

Thanks

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Multi-channel encoding for SPDIF output? Feature request if possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:33 am »

Provided you have a way to decode Dolby Digital you can send 5.1 over SPDIF by selecting 5.1 for channels in the DSP studio, you can also select the setting to send stereo signals as 2.1 only if you wish.
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up