INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integrating MC 18 with External Hard Drive  (Read 3602 times)

iliaazcowi

Integrating MC 18 with External Hard Drive
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:52:19 am »

HELP!!!

I recently purchased an external hard drive to transfer all of my .wav files and Cover Art to as the c:\ drive on my computer was maxed out.  I have a Music folder with three folders for J River on my G:\ drive: J River Music, J River Cover Art and J River Conversion Cache dropped down from the Music folder.  What would be the best way to set up MC 18 and my external hard drive to work together?  Somebody please help me!!!!

iliaazcowi

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Integrating MC 18 with External Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »

I don't know what is the "best" method with MC18.

But I have all my music files on an external hard drive, and I simply pointed MC18 to it by browsing to its top music folder in:

Tools->Options->Library & Folders->Configure auto-import..

There are default folder locations in:

Tools->Options->File Location

but so far I haven't changed those, even though they don't point to my external drive, once I imported from the external drive, everything is there in my Library.

By the way, I did "Clear Library" prior to putting my external drive's location into the Auto Import...

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:08:11 pm »

In windows, assign a drive letter to the external drive.
This will make it appear as the same letter every time you plug it in.
ie. not E one day, then F the next.
Pick a high letter that windows doesn't use as a default. I use Z for my music drive.

One thing you may notice is that the drive will sleep.
If its inactive for a while then you play a song it may take 5 seconds or so to start playing.

Other than that there is no difference, that i can think of, between external and internal drives.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »

Something to think about when transferring your music to the external drive is where your metadata is stored.
If tags are in the database only, you should use media center's explorer to move the files.
I think this will keep the metadata/database intact. Test on a few files before doing all.

I only use FLAC and mp3 so i can re-import without loosing anything other than number of plays.
I'm not sure how wav works. Its best to be on the safe side though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up