INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jaggies on the picture what ever I do  (Read 2224 times)

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Jaggies on the picture what ever I do
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:36:33 pm »

I was just wondering. Why do I always get jaggies on moving white lines when looking at a DVD on any of my PC's / HTPC. I'm not an expert with video tech (deinterlacing custom resolutions etc...) but with the little I know I can't understand why I could not better this or how to do it. Let me explain :
All following is with red october HQ : Since the two latest MC releases on one of my HTPC's (i3225, HD4000) every DVD is jagged with any MadVr setting and any refresh rate (29 or 59) (when the camera is moving all lines are looking like stairs...). IIf I then put a discrete card in (AMD 6750 or 7750) an re-run the movie all is more or less gone (not really noticeable). The HTPC is connected directly into a Pioneer Plasma 600KRP which displays in dot by dot mode (=no suplementary transformation).
Asking myself if more power is better I just installed MC on my gaming rig for fun (690GTX on a 30'' Dell). There if I run 1920x1080 the nice thing is that I can run jinc 4 taps in both chroma and upscaling but also there no way to get jaggies out of the DVD's.
For those who know it : the absolute killer is a tv-serie called "frasier" where at the beginning the "city of Seattle" is drawn with a white line on a black background. I never got this line without jaggies....
Any ideas on what I should concentrate ??

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Jaggies on the picture what ever I do
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:17 pm »

I also have an occasional issue with deinterlacing with DVDs. My setup:
MC 18.0.128. Intel i5 2500k. NVIDIA GT430.
ROHQ - Mitchell Netravali (which gives render times well within refresh rate and no drop frames)
MadVR OSD says 'Deinterlacing On', but clearly there is blatant 'combing'

If instead I install a copy of LAV filters and use this in ROHQ Custom and used CUVID for deinterlacing with the aggressive option checked, then deinterlacing works fine. Of course MadVR reports no deinterlacing in this case.

I'll post a couple of screenies in a bit...

Something fishy is going on in MadVR deinterlacing for DVD. I can't quite put my finger on why.

SBR

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »

OK, So here goes:

Sorry for the blurry shots, but the panning scene shows the problem quite well...and apologies for the different frame for comparison. I haven't resized the images much smaller, because it smooths out the combing!

In RO Standard, clearly combing and no deinterlacing.

Same in ROHQ: (note MadVR says deinterlacing on!)

Incidentally seems a difference in levels too. (I'll have to get those BTB WTW test patterns out again!)

In RO Custom with LAV Video for decoding and aggressive option, with CUVID enabled:

Actually, with hardware/software deinterlacing disabled in LAV, but with aggressive option it still works OK (note MadVR says it now is deinterlacing):

So it seems the recent switch to undo the aggressive option in LAV in DVD doesn't work well for some videos. It seems fixing a problem has created a problem.
It's probably badly flagged video, but I do have a number of these clips that are affected. It's great that we now have LAV and MadVR for DVD so that I can actually sort the problem out, so thanks again JRiver team for that. (And of course madshi and nevcairiel who did the hard work!). A keyboard/remote toggle for aggressive mode may be helpful because it's obvious when it's present and a simple click of the remote/keyboard to fix it would be ideal.

SBR

PS Hope you guys are enjoying the Superbowl!
PPS Is there a way to do frame by frame advance or rewind in MC for comparison shots???

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:19:24 pm »

EXACTLY !!!!! What I noticed is that this only happens for me with an intel based graphic solution...
Pages: [1]   Go Up