INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How may one set up a Send To external tool to open the tree folder in Explorer?  (Read 1449 times)

chrisjj

• Citizen of the Universe

I have tried this:

but this produced not an Explorer window but a download dialog (!)

I guess the Parameters: value is wrong... but I can find no documentation on allowed values.

Thanks.

gappie

it works for me.. the explorer dialogue is an security screen. try an image works imediatly, for sound it just wants to be sure. click open and it will play in something.
 :)
gab

chrisjj

click open and it will play in something.
Yes click Open does cause the file mentions in the dialog to play.

But what I want the tool to do is "open the tree folder in Explorer".

marko

• MC Beta Team

Try "[filename (path)]" in parameters.

EDIT:
You know that if you just move the mouse to the right a little bit, and right click on one of the files, you can use "Locate > On disk (external)" and Explorer will open at the containing folder, and the file selected in MC will also be selected in Explorer. Unless you have a special need for "Send to..." from the tree in MC, this feels a more compact and fluid solution to your question.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

You know that if you just move the mouse to the right a little bit, and right click on one of the files, you can use "Locate > On disk (external)" and Explorer will open at the containing folder, and the file selected in MC will also be selected in Explorer. Unless you have a special need for "Send to..." from the tree in MC, this feels a more compact and fluid solution to your question.

I was just coming in to comment the same thing.

Locate > On Disk (External) does the same thing.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

chrisjj

Try "[filename (path)]" in parameters.

Thanks, but that doesn't show the selected folder - it shows the parent folders of all the files in the folder, each in a separate window.

I tried: "[ ] Use a copy (will be stacked with original)" (guessing, having found no documentation on what this is supposed to do) but that gives only:

EDIT:
You know that if you just move the mouse to the right a little bit, and right click on one of the files, you can use "Locate > On disk (external)"
I do.

Unless you have a special need for "Send to..." from the tree in MC, this feels a more compact and fluid solution to your question.
I want to open the selected folder. "Locate > On disk (external)" seems to work only on files, and opens the selected folder only in the simplest case. It doesn't if a) the folder has no files directly in it e.g. it's files are in subfolders, or; b) the folder is not in the library.

Thanks anyway for the thought.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I tried: "[ ] Use a copy (will be stacked with original)" (guessing, having found no documentation on what this is supposed to do) but that gives only:

All of the Locate and Send To commands are designed to operate on files, not on directories, which is causing your trouble.  When you right-click on a Folder in the Disk Location views, it is trying to send the entire folder and all of the files it contains to the selected external application, not just the folder itself.

So, for example, if you use [Filename], and right-click on a folder full of files, it'll send each file in the folder (one at a time) to the external application.  If it is a big folder, it'll probably make your computer run out of RAM.

The use a copy (stacked) option, to explain, creates a copy of the file before sending it to your external application.  So, the idea would be, you right-click on an Image File and choose Send To (external) > Photoshop.  MC will then create a duplicate of the image file (preserving the original) and send the duplicate to Photoshop, where you can make edits.  Then this edited version will be in a file stack with the original, so that you can access both the edit and the original in the same place in MC automatically.

The problem with the [Filename (path)] field is that it is removing the "filename" part of the path, which in this case, since it isn't there, ends up being the selected folder name.  That would have been a good trick, otherwise, but it doesn't look like it works.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

chrisjj

All of the Locate and Send To commands are designed to operate on files, not on directories, which is causing your trouble.
Ah. In this case it was offered on a folder. Perhaps a warning in the Help is in order. Thanks.

The problem with the [Filename (path)] field is that it is removing the "filename" part of the path, which in this case, since it isn't there, ends up being the selected folder name.  That would have been a good trick, otherwise, but it doesn't look like it works.
"[filename (path)]" is identical for all files in the same folder, so it would be nice if MC noticed that, and opened the one appropriate window, rather that open dozens - one for each file. Devs, please do consider this. This would make the command usable on folders.

The use a copy (stacked) option, to explain, creates a copy of the file before sending it to your external application.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Then Devs, you might like to know that Max copy depth reached or disc full error is wrong. Neither is true in this case. I'd guess the cause is MC trying to write to the files folder. In this case, that folder is read-only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up