INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery of 'Hidden' Registry-stored options  (Read 939 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Recovery of 'Hidden' Registry-stored options
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:31 am »

Hi all...

I remember several times during the development of MC16 & 17 that changes were made that necessitated the nuking of people's TheaterView views and DLNA views. At that time, there was some discussion about either changing where those types of preferences were stored or providing some kind of import/export option for, well, the options :)

This issue popped back into my head yesterday because my HTPC had a drive meltdown. I had a very recent backup, but it was not a full image of my drive--so I've needed to reinstall the OS too. <sigh>

Everything has gone smoothly in the restoration except for all of the settings in MC--the options dialog, the move/copy files dialog, the access control dialog, the views mentioned above, etc. etc. (The Library and its views came back without trouble after restoring the also obscured Roaming App folder.)

I can recreate many things, but the long expressions I use in various presets in the move/copy dialog are the biggest loss to me.

Where are all these setting stored? If I can find an old image of my original drive, do I have a hope of recovering them?

...and kicking off the discussion again about making a backup of these settings a easier to do from userspace...

brad

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Recovery of 'Hidden' Registry-stored options
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:57:07 am »

MC makes automatic library backups, which contain all settings.

By default, they go to Documents\JRiver.

It's a best practice to configure them to point to a drive other than your Windows drive in Options > File Locations.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Recovery of 'Hidden' Registry-stored options
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »

Thanks Matt!

See what happens when one doesn't pay close attention!

I was able to recover one of the library auto-backups and manually extract the information I needed from the User INI file. (I didn't want to just restore the entire backup and roll back a bunch of other work.) Certainly an unsanctioned method, but it seemed to work great!

Now to be more diligent about creating those library backups...

brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up