INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound after monitor powers down  (Read 758 times)

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
No sound after monitor powers down
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:21:19 am »

My computer power settings have my monitor turning off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

If I pause a movie and step away for 10 minutes, i come back and move the mouse, the screen turns back on but there is no sound. Sound from the PC still works fine. Simply closing and then reopening jriver makes it work again for jriver.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Thanks!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: No sound after monitor powers down
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:46:23 am »

Under Audio > Settings, there is an option to disable the display from turning off that may help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No sound after monitor powers down
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »

Yeah.

The problem is this:

If you have WASAPI Exclusive Mode enabled, are using HDMI output for audio, and the PC powers down the HDMI display, it has (effectively) disconnected the "sound card" completely.  As far as the system is concerned, it is just like you removed it and re-inserted it.  MC needs to then send the audio out as though it is a brand-new playback stream (because the previous one was interrupted), but it doesn't know that it does because it was paused (and not trying to send a stream) when the disconnect happened.

The best solution is to prevent the display from going to sleep in the first place, while paused.  Or, to not use Pause for so long (which could maybe be accomplished via a script of some sort if needed).

Enable the option that keeps the display from turning off, and you should be sorted unless the goal was to leave it paused but allow the system to sleep (in which case, you might want to re-evaluate the plan).  You could also probably stop using WASAPI Exclusive Mode, but that's a bad idea for other reasons.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up