INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is importing m4a files so slow?  (Read 1240 times)

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Why is importing m4a files so slow?
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:46:54 am »

Hi,

i just tried to to import m4a (Apple AAC) files into a new JRiver MC library (latest MC Version 18.0.136).
It took at least ten times to import the m4a files than i takes to import the same amount of mp3 files.

Also importing exported libraries from iTunes (xml) takes forever.
Why is this the case?

I made my imports in preparation of the upcoming MC for MacOS.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Why is importing m4a files so slow?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:19 am »

Importing m4a files (AAC or ALAC) should not be considerably slower than importing other audio formats, but m4a tagging is often slower than tagging some other formats like MP3, FLAC and APE. As far as I know, MC always needs to rewrite the entire files when it applies m4a tag changes. MC can tag some other formats faster if the tag change doesn't require rewriting the entire file.

To troubleshoot your problem:
- check that a security program is not unnecessarily inspecting each accessed m4a file.
- if you are importing through a LAN connection (remote computer, NAS, etc), try importing from a local drive (as a test).
- disable file analysis and cover art lookup in the import options (could it be that your MP3 files have already been analyzed for Replay Gain?)
- disable tag writing globally (to test if this makes any difference): Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes (uncheck).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Why is importing m4a files so slow?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:09:33 am »

- disable tag writing globally (to test if this makes any difference): Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes (uncheck).

Thanks, Alex

that was the problem.
After unchecking this, my 48,000 tracks were read in 3 hours instead of 26 hours :).
Pages: [1]   Go Up