INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote management of library - can I do it the way I want?  (Read 1004 times)

Neco

• World Citizen
Remote management of library - can I do it the way I want?
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:20 am »

Hi,

I have recently repurposed my old AMD based desktop for  File Server / HTPC duty.   When I complete the setup, I will have a remote and all that good stuff,  but for now I just need to know the correct way to do what I want.

I want to physically keep my library on my HTPC, and play back files there, using a local Media Center client.   However I want to actually manage my library from my desktop  (1080p, more space to see and edit stuff, just more convenient too).   But I don't want to do any kind of sync that actually duplicates my HTPC library on the desktop.   I just want to be able to  edit things,  changing  storage locations, rename files,  set up cover art,  custom theater-views and all the usual goodies.    Then when I am done editing,  sync those changes back to the HTPC  so it saves edits to any  tags, file names/locations, custom views, etc.    I absolutely under no circumstance  want actual media files  pulled to the desktop and then sync'd back with changes.   

I basically want to edit the library within media center, and change things as if I was on the actual machine --  without having to do with the overhead of a Remote Desktop or  VNC or other such connection.

Is this possible?

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Remote management of library - can I do it the way I want?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:36:37 pm »

I have a very similar setup.  You can try to manage by connecting from the desktop to your HTPC via MC itself.  However, I have had very mixed results with tagging, etc.  In addition, you're not going to be able to do things from the remote machine while connected to Media Server, like perform an Import.  As such, I am currently using a VNC solution for my setup.
Kerr
Pages: [1]   Go Up