INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center  (Read 262152 times)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:14 am »

JRemote is the first full featured native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center.

The app was developed to offer you full remote control of your JRiver Media Center from any of your iDevices.
Please note that you need JRiver Media Center version 15 or later.

The current version is 2.22.

Link to App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jremote/id486222633?l=nb&ls=1&mt=8

Link to JRemote.net
http://www.jremote.net

You can find the old JRemote thread here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68491.0

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:18:58 am »

Just want to give a quick update on the next version.

I am currently tracking down a couple of bugs that some people are experiencing.
Should be out in a couple of weeks time.

Two new features will headline this release:

- Edit metadata for single or multiple files.
- Local search in all views.

The iPhone version now includes the ability to search from metadata as well as edit.
There are also several small fixes and more polish overall.

The version after this one will feature a complete redesign of the global search.
I am currently working on a feature very similar to the search wizard in MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:54:27 pm »

Exciting!  A new thread... Any word on the M4A playback problem for that next version?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:50:01 pm »

Thanks Les Paul!  I look forward to your update.

Best App EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:52:17 pm »

100% repeatable crash that I encountered last night:

1. Have a video that has already been played, with the "Resume playback using bookmarks" option in JRiver set to "Ask"
2. Start playback via JRemote. JRemote will now crash indefinitely while that dialog box is up.

Even if you stop playback of this file, JRemote will continue to crash indefinitely.

The only way I have found to stop this crashing, is to hit resume on the video, stop the video, and then start playback locally at the same time as launching JRemote again. If you catch it right, JRemote seems to act as if it had initiated playback and then works correctly again.

If you don't do this, you can be stuck in a neverending crash - even after deleting and reinstalling JRemote it starts crashing as soon as you connect again.

locust

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:14:36 am »

Looking forward to the next release, I feel I couldn't use mc without J Remote now.. You have done great work.. Also before I had J Remote my girlfriend wouldn't go near mc with a barge pole, it overwhelmed her too much but now she loves mc and J Remote especially as I have it set up with zones in multiple rooms. She used iTunes before but never actually listened to any of her music now it's a fight over who gets control of the speakers each day..

As for the metadata really looking forward to it, will we have the ability to hide fields that we may never wish to see?

The search is going to be great, very useful :)

Sometimes but not too often thankfully when I start a track it just gitches and loops about a seconds worth of music, I then have to restart mc, don't know if it is j remote, mc, or some of the complex views and expressions I use, just thought I'd let you know..

Got one other litte hinderance, that I'd Love to sove.. On the root menu the is the Playlist item, I don't actually use that for me and my girl we both have our own view trees and within them I created our own Playlist menus so we could get to them quicker. For instance I have a smartlist for tracks that are played in the last 24hrs, when I view that smartlist thought the normal menu once songs are finished they appear the view, but looking at the same smartlist through my custom menu for playlist only populates once and any subsequent tracks don't appear

I can only assume you have J remote set to treat the default playlist menu different from other menus, so it continually populates and that other menus aren't trashing the server constantly. If this is so, is there anyway J remote can tell if a menus' type is a playlist group, so it can be treated the same way?

Thanks

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:27:47 am »

Glynor, I guess the only solution to the m4a problem is to remove the option to stream without transcoding.
There really isn`t much else to do as long as the default iOS player cant play your files.

6233638, thank you for reporting, I will try to replicate it tonight.

Cassangelo, I am not sure I fully understand your problem, but the playlist menu item is not treated any different than other views.
You may choose to remove it from the custom views if you want.

On the iPad version that is, The iPhone version is still locked to a preset list of view. This reminds me that I need to make the iPhone version also populate the menu dynamically.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:57:11 am »

Glynor, I guess the only solution to the m4a problem is to remove the option to stream without transcoding.
There really isn`t much else to do as long as the default iOS player cant play your files.

But, it can.  The exact same files, transferred to my device via iTunes play just fine.  As I mentioned before, these are just regular iTunes purchases.

It happens with ALL iTunes purchases through JRemote, for me.

You can't reproduce it?

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:18 am »

I think I have a better handle on what's going on with switching zones for me when using JRemote.

I have two zones. One is titled DCS-Redbook and the other is titled DCS-DSD.

By adding a second JRiver Media Center server, when the second zone playing, I was able to control the second zone.

While I can switch switch back and forth between zones in MC (an automatic process), the downside is that I now also have to switch back and forth between servers in JRemote (a manual process) in order to control both zones.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Joel

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

As everyone here has already said - AMAZING app.

Request for "swipe album art on Now playing screen" to advance to next track on iPhone.
Particularly useful for when I'm driving.
(LesPaul you had said you thought this was a solid idea and do-able a while back, but I guess it got lost in the mix...or given a lower priority)

Not crucial, but if easy to implement, woluld be much appreciated.

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:12:56 pm »

swipe brings up playlist.... which I personally like.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 08:42:16 am »

I think I have a better handle on what's going on with switching zones for me when using JRemote.

I have two zones. One is titled DCS-Redbook and the other is titled DCS-DSD.

By adding a second JRiver Media Center server, when the second zone playing, I was able to control the second zone.

While I can switch switch back and forth between zones in MC (an automatic process), the downside is that I now also have to switch back and forth between servers in JRemote (a manual process) in order to control both zones.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Joel

Anyone have any ideas about this issue?

Joel

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 05:04:54 pm »

Regarding swipe gestures. What about that:

One finger swipe is previous next track.
Two finger swipe changes between album/track view and playlist view and vice versa.
That would be my intuitive behavior. But since the one finger swipe is already used for switching view, it would also be ok to use the two finger swipe for changing track.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »

As there was no response on the other thread I would like to try my suggestion again:

Playlists a song is part of:
When listening to music I often would like to know, if that song is already in one or more playlists (I have playlists for different moods, events, etc.). So the idea is to have this information in the tag view, as MC itself also lists the playlists the song is in, in the tags list.

iPhone zone switch on main view:
Then there is another suggestion for the iPhone app. Right now the only way to switch zones is in the "playing now" view, but this is not the right place in my opinion, as "playing now" is zone dependent. I often switch between local and renderer zone, and so I always have to go to playing now first, check if the zone is right, then go back to the main view and select the music I want to hear. From a work-flow point of view, the zone should be seen and selected before the music is selected.

Rating not updated:
And there might be small glitch with the rating system. The rating works, but often delayed and it is not updated in the track lists in JRemote. For example, if I rate a song in playing now cover art section (or tag view) the rating is not shown in the playing now playlist for that song, and if go back to the main view it also not shown. Only if I go back one level in the main view (from the album to the artist, or fromt the playlist to the playlist folder) and open the album or playlist again, then it is reloaded and the rating is shown.

Unstable release(?):
Lastly, I have the feeling, that the latest version with JRiver 146 build is not as stable as before, but I am not perfectly sure about this, or what the reasons really are (I guess it is the latest JRiver version).

Ah, and yes, although I have written it once, I like to repeat it: This app IS amazing. I regard it as one of the best apps, or even the best app, I have seen.

Richee

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 11:57:25 pm »

Exciting!  A new thread... Any word on the M4A playback problem for that next version?

Not sure if this is the same problem you have but when I try to play iTunes m4a songs
to my itouch device there is a long pause and then the song starts. JRemote crashes
frequently when skipping through m4a songs.

It looks like JRemote transcodes the m4a to mp3 320 even though I have "stream aac, m4a
and wav files uncompressed. Could this be the issue.

Is there a way to tell JRemote to pass
the m4a file to the device untouched? Is this a failing with JRemote or MediaCenter?

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 02:03:01 am »

1 finger or 2 finger swipe to advance track is fine by me, trying to pick out tiny little buttons on an iPhone in a dock down by the gear stick is not a good (current) option (IMHO).
Also to access playlist by clicking the button vs swiping...cliking the button in the top right is EASY to hit : there are no other buttons to hit by accident vs the tiny little buttons all in a row trying to hit blindly while driving for advance track...

Listen - no criticism here, this app is great, but if anyone cares, here's what would make it better for me...(I guess there will always be someone that wants it the way it is and always someone else that wants to change something - ultimately lespaul will decide and I'll make do with whatever that is - Ive already got my money's-worth with this great little app).

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 02:54:47 am »

I would love it if there was an option to either swap the progress & volume controls, or even do that and remove the volume controls altogether when it's disabled inside JRiver.

And I am not too keen on the way that the playlist bar only slides out to maybe 80% height of the screen.

I would rather that it was full height and reformatted the current view, rather than overlapping the list.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 06:56:34 am »

Rubberduck0:

When listening to music I often would like to know, if that song is already in one or more playlists (I have playlists for different moods, events, etc.). So the idea is to have this information in the tag view, as MC itself also lists the playlists the song is in, in the tags list.

I have not checked this myself, but tag view will display all tags availbale from the server. If it`s not diplayed I will verify that this is not a JRemote issue and contact JRiver.

Then there is another suggestion for the iPhone app. Right now the only way to switch zones is in the "playing now" view, but this is not the right place in my opinion, as "playing now" is zone dependent. I often switch between local and renderer zone, and so I always have to go to playing now first, check if the zone is right, then go back to the main view and select the music I want to hear. From a work-flow point of view, the zone should be seen and selected before the music is selected.

The space on the iPhone is limited.

However, I have been thinking of going the route of using a slide-in menu instead of the tabbbar at the bottom.
You can see this implemented in mulitple apps like the latest version of spotify and facebook.

There are several benefits to this aproach. Search and zone swithing can reside in this new menu. The tabbar space can be used for other stuff like playcontrols and other controls.

The only potential downside is that it requires one extra click or swipe to select a menu option.

What do you guys think?

Rating not updated:
And there might be small glitch with the rating system. The rating works, but often delayed and it is not updated in the track lists in JRemote. For example, if I rate a song in playing now cover art section (or tag view) the rating is not shown in the playing now playlist for that song, and if go back to the main view it also not shown. Only if I go back one level in the main view (from the album to the artist, or fromt the playlist to the playlist folder) and open the album or playlist again, then it is reloaded and the rating is shown.

Yes, lists are not reloaded when changing ratings. I will implement that soon.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 06:58:37 am »

Glynor, I have never downloaded a single track from iTunes, so i can`t test at the moment.

Are they DRM protected in any way? Have you toggled the setting in JRemote where you choose to have the track transcoded or not?

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 07:05:09 am »

I think the best solution for the swipe request is to implement a two finger swipe to change tracks.
Will implement this for the next release (after the next).

BTW, the next MC build will probably include the option to save playlists, so I may release a small update before the bigger search improvement release.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 07:07:09 am »

6233638, in the next version both the volume and progress sliders are visible in the bottom bar. So no more sliding to access the progress slider.

locust

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 07:43:50 am »

I had some drm protected tracks that my girlfriend had from iTunes, I ended up just replacing them with non iTunes versions, I found that you needed apples bonjour (or was it QuickTime, no pretty sure it was bonjour), if I can recall correctly otherwise the tracks wouldn't play at all.

But even when it was installed the tracks wouldn't play sometimes when controlling mc directly from the desktop. then when using j remote again if I can recall correctly, this was a while back, the track wouldn't play and whe looking at the desktop mc threw a dialog box up, can't remember exactly what it said but I think it was along the iines of, that it could not connect to the interenet to to check the drm or something or another like that.. But upon clicking ok the track would play. But while that dialog box was up I couldn't even switch track with j remote.

I've  never purchased music from iTunes either, so at the time instead of trying to find a solution or posting in the forum. I jut got rid of them.. Hope it helps somewhat..

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 08:03:09 am »

6233638, in the next version both the volume and progress sliders are visible in the bottom bar. So no more sliding to access the progress slider.
Awesome, thank you.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 09:57:50 am »

Glynor, I have never downloaded a single track from iTunes, so i can`t test at the moment.

Are they DRM protected in any way? Have you toggled the setting in JRemote where you choose to have the track transcoded or not?

They aren't DRMed (I would NOT buy those).

I haven't tried the transcoding switch yet, but I will (I'll try tonight).  If you want to test it yourself, you are still welcome to connect to my server.  Connection details are identical to what I sent before.  A good, easy to find example set is the album III by Crystal Castles.  It should be easy to find in there.

pcstockton

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 10:26:00 am »

The space on the iPhone is limited.

However, I have been thinking of going the route of using a slide-in menu instead of the tabbbar at the bottom.
You can see this implemented in mulitple apps like the latest version of spotify and facebook.

There are several benefits to this aproach. Search and zone swithing can reside in this new menu. The tabbar space can be used for other stuff like playcontrols and other controls.

The only potential downside is that it requires one extra click or swipe to select a menu option.

Ive been feeling this one for a while....  It isn't often that you want to change Zones while looking at playing now.  It would almost be better anywhere else.  I have always wished it was available on every page/view in some way.  Your bottom swipe sounds ideal.  No big deal for one more "step".  In fact it would be less actions if your are anywhere else but Playing Now.

Thanks Les Paul!!!!

-Patrick

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 06:39:19 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Slide-in menu: yeah, one vote from me

Volume & Progress slider: I also appreciate a change there. As I pointed out before, it happens to me sometimes that I change the volume instead of progress (yes, very funny, if I want to jump to the end of the track...;)), because in one view the volume is at the bottom, and in the other view the progress slider is there. The flexibility to handle this, my tiny brain cannot provide... ;)

One and two-finger swipe: I think a good solution

Mmh, an entirely new custom field I created within JRiver is shown in JRemote tag view, but the playlists, which are shown in JRiver are not shown in JRemote. So, this would mean that JRiver does provide the track information pretty randomly. I hope they will change this.
However, if I understand you right, then the JRiver API will soon enable adding tracks to playlists. This would be really, really great. But if adding is possible, then removing will too. And for this, you will need to provide a list of playlists, where the song is part of, anyway. So, maybe it is better to wait until the new API is out and if this is implemented into JRemote, my request may be covered with this too.
By the way, I think the slide-in menu would also be a good place for handling adding and removing to/from playlists. But wait, why should I make a suggestion here? You have proved very profoundly, that you really know how to design an excellent UI. ;)

Update ratings:
Is it possible to update only the rated song instead of the whole list? Just thinking in respect to performance and responsiveness. What I mean is, that you update the track info for this one song and then change the rating info in all the views only locally. Or is this what you planned to do anyway?

Maximum Volume:
May I suggest this again? An option to set the maximum volume, where the right end of the volume slider represents this maximum value. The idea came up, because my Denon AVR uses a non-linear volume control. A volume of 7 to 10 is already good enough under normal circumstances. Especially on the iPhone it is very difficult to set the volume. The easiest solution would be to limit the volume. This may also be useful for other purposes, where you want to make sure the music is not played too loud.

transmaster

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 01:30:51 am »

A really great App  ;D

I am using an iPod Touch 4G. iTunes has not had any DRM on music for 5 or 6 years.  I have not had any trouble with playback of music from iTunes. I always transcode any lossless formats to a wave file as My Onkyo AVR will not play them.

Sailorxo

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »

Hi All,

First of all, great app!  It makes jriver a lot easier to use.

I have a simple questions for everyone.  I'd like to have my list of albums with me when I go shopping for CDs (here in the U.S. and overseas).  Is there a way that jremote can remember the albums away from the server?  I figure if I go to a cd store and I want to see if I have the album already or not, I can pull out jremote and look it up.  Is this possible with jremote?  If not, are there other solutions? 

Thank you everyone.

Sailor

pcstockton

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:39 pm »

Sailor,

Set up the "Global Connection" and have your library on the go for browsing and most importantly, STREAMING to you iOS device!!!!$$$$$

-Patrick

transmaster

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 11:54:54 pm »

Discogs does exactly what you want. The Discogs website is a treasure you open a free account and then add all of your the records, CD's, MP3 etc into your personal data base you can share this data base.  You can buy and sell through this site, have a wish list,  but my main use for it is to look up albums from there you learn what was released, by who, the date, country, catalog number, album art, track listing, everything. etc and in many cases you will find reviews of these individual releases. Plus there is a listing of anyone who has these releases for sale.  There is a free app for iPhone/touch/iPad called Crate Digger which is powered by Discogs.  I just loaded it myself as I never thought to look for an app there are Android apps as well.  But you can access your Discogs account through your smart phone's browser.

http://www.discogs.com/

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 02:37:38 am »

Had some problems streaming files to my iPad earlier tonight - it would play the first second or two of a track, then skip to the next one and play it in its entirety. Then play the first couple of seconds of the next track, and play the one after that in its entirety.

This happened with multiple albums, and opening up JRemote and going back a track allowed the ones that were skipped over to play back correctly - with a 50% chance that it would skip the one after that.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 05:23:53 pm »

Had some problems streaming files to my iPad earlier tonight - it would play the first second or two of a track, then skip to the next one and play it in its entirety. Then play the first couple of seconds of the next track, and play the one after that in its entirety.

This happened with multiple albums, and opening up JRemote and going back a track allowed the ones that were skipped over to play back correctly - with a 50% chance that it would skip the one after that.

Are you sure that this has something to do with JRemote? If you stream (same playlist, same renderer, same server) your music without JRemote using JRiver directly, does this happen too?

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08:24 pm »

Because it is Wish-a-Wipe ;) time right now, I would like to suggest another one:
Three finger swipe to change back and forth between playing now and home/main view.

I noticed some issues with the thumbnail/cover view. It is difficult do explain. I'll do my best:

Set-up:
* JRiver is set to ignore articles.
* JRemote is set NOT to ignore articles.
* In the main view the thumbnail view is active (or cover view, i.e. not one of the two list views)

Then the list is shown unsorted, i.e. with ignored articles (as reported by JRiver). I cannot change to a sorted list as the button is grayed out. If I still press the sort button, nothing happens of course, except that the index bar on the right side disappears (comes back if I change to another folder).

This does not happen when changing to one of the list views. Then the initial view is the sorted view and the index bar is shown. If I change to the unsorted view, the index bar disappears (which makes sense of course). So everything behaves as it should.

I do not understand why the thumbnail view behaves differently, it is just another representation of the same list. It think this is broken. And this leads to some strange effects (this was actually how I discovered the problem):
With the set-up as described above: When viewing a list of artists and clicking on T on the right side of the index bar, the view does not jump to the artists with T, but to e.g. A. Because there is e.g. "The All-American Rejects". This happens of course as there is an index bar with an unsorted list, and the view jumps to the first occurrence of T, which is among the artists starting with A.

Suggestion:
The thumbnail view should behave as the list views, i.e. have the option for sorted/unsorted and the index bar is only shown in sorted mode.

And another minor thing:
The track numbering (track # on CD, or sequential number) in the slide-in playlist on the main/home view does not follow the numbering in playing now. As the number style cannot be changed in the slide-in tab, I think it would be best to show the same numbering as set in playing now.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 06:46:52 am »

I apologize upfront for "spamming" this thread. I only have the best intentions in mind, really.

Because right now the discussion about swiping is active, I cannot hold my thoughts about that (after I really thought about that last night):

An important principle I would follow as much as possible, is to have the same user experience on the iPhone and on the iPad.
Another principle for me would be to stick to common gestures (or UI features), as people already know them and somehow expect them in every app.

Having said this, I do have a problem with the one finger swipe for changing between cover view and playlist on the iPhone, as this breaks both principles. On the iPad it is the common "Delete" (element from list) gesture and I think this is good. On the iPhone I would like to have the same behavior.
To make it short, here are my suggestions:
* One finger swipe left/right: delete a track from the playlist (does nothing in other views)
* Two finger swipe left/right: change between playlist and cover/track view (used on the home/main view it brings up the playlist view; alternatively it could bring up the new slide-in menu planned for the iPhone, but I think the first option is better)
* Two finger swipe up/down: go to previous (up) and next (down) track, where this gesture should work in all views (I think up and down is the most intuitive gesture, as it represents the direction you move within the playlist, i.e. up and down)
* Three finger swipe left/right: flip playlist and main/home view
* Three finger swipe up/down: bring out the new slide-in menu as planned to be implemented on the iPhone

Having said this, I leave it to the full discretion of Lespaul to implement the swipe gestures as s/he sees fit. I have no doubt that the final solution will be good enough for me.  8)

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 10:20:14 am »

The ipad and iPhone are 2 very different devices with 2 very different primary uses.
My request for swipe to change tracks is based on safety.
The number of people that listen to music from their phones in the car far out-weighs those that do the same (if any) from their iPad.

The UI for ipad and iphone is very different based on its screen real estate and the fact that it is mainly used in landscape.

I dont see any need to standardise gestures unless it makes ease-of-use sense.

IMHO gestures should be to simplify common actions.
The most common actions should be given the simplest gestures.

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 03:52:59 pm »

Are you sure that this has something to do with JRemote? If you stream (same playlist, same renderer, same server) your music without JRemote using JRiver directly, does this happen too?
I don't have anything else to stream to. But AirPlay/iTunes Home Sharing has never given me any problems. (802.11n wifi to the iPad, gigabit connected to the PC)

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 07:16:48 pm »

The ipad and iPhone are 2 very different devices with 2 very different primary uses.
My request for swipe to change tracks is based on safety.
The most common actions should be given the simplest gestures.

The fact, that iPhone and iPad are very different in some respect does not mean that it doesn't make sense to equalize as much as possible on both devices. And only give a different look and feel where it is necessary.
I would think that common and learned gestures should not be changed, even if for one app this means the most common action is not the simplest gesture. For example the two finger scroll on the Mac. What if every application would use this gesture differently (for Safari scrolling, for Word zooming, etc.). Would drive me crazy.
But in this case we are not only talking about sticking to common gestures between different apps, here we have different behavior within the same app on different devices. Cannot think of any other app which has this.

In addition I would also regard a two finger swipe up and down (anywhere on any screen) at least not more difficult or dangerous than the one finger swipe (which works only on the cover view). MHO.

However, I think there is no right or wrong and no solution will satisfy all. So "someone" ;) has to decide and hopefully most of us like it...

I don't have anything else to stream to. But AirPlay/iTunes Home Sharing has never given me any problems. (802.11n wifi to the iPad, gigabit connected to the PC)

Does this happen if you play these songs directly with JRiver (=renderer)? Or try 8player lite (free) and play the songs on the iPad/iPhone with it.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 09:52:52 pm »

"The fact, that iPhone and iPad are very different in some respect does not mean that it doesn't make sense to equalize as much as possible on both devices. And only give a different look and feel where it is necessary."

Disagree - take a look at the app running on ipad and then on iphone they look completely different as they fully utilise two different devices with 2 different primary uses - I would suggest that the ipad is primarily being used as a system controller in the home and the iphone as a remote streaming device out of home.

As even Tim Cook points out, just stretching an iphone app to fit an ipad screen is no way to fully take advantage of the screen real estate - they are two different devices.

I would also direct attention to how spotify utilises swipes - its a single swipe horizontally to advance track...im sure they went through the same 2 finger vs 3 finger, up vs down discussions too before settling on where they have...

Rubberducky, you and I need to agree to disagree - what we do agree on is that a gesture for advance track would be a good thing, lets leave it at that.  :)

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 02:19:30 am »

Does this happen if you play these songs directly with JRiver (=renderer)? Or try 8player lite (free) and play the songs on the iPad/iPhone with it.
No, playback is fine inside JRiver. I will check out 8player later.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 08:11:20 am »

@toomanybarts: Agree to disagree.

Although I think our opinions are not so far from each other as it may seem. I do not say, that iPad and iPhone should look the same as much as possible. I think the principles should be the same as much as possible. And this is true for almost all apps. One principle for example is the separation into three views: the main/home view, the playlist view and the track view. This is equal on both devices and I think also you will agree that this makes sense. However this has nothing to do how these views are displayed. This is done in different ways, as on the iPhone you have either the playlist or the track view, but on the iPad both are together on one screen. Another principle is that you can rate a song on the track view or within the tags. This is also true for both devices. I think it is clear what I want to say. And I think that so far we share the opinion.

The difference may be in the view of what is a principle worth keeping equal on both devices. IMHO to associate the same function with the same gesture on both devices is such a principle.

And only then the question is to raise, which gesture is best for which function? It seems there is no 100% common gesture for a function, but swiping sideways is pretty common for deleting an element from a list. Although I have to be more accurate. In some cases it is a swipe to the left (from the right side).

So this would make room for an enhanced suggestion from me:
* One finger swipe to the left: delete form playling now
* One finger swipe to the right: bring up the new slide-in menu on the iPhone (on the iPad it could also be used for deleting)

So, and this will be my last posting on that subject. This does not mean that I would not like to discuss this further, or that I disrespect your (or anybody else's) opinion. Not at all. A good and civilized discussion is worth a lot, especially in these days, if you look into most forums.
I just think that there are much more important issues to be solved and discussed and I do not want to draw further attention away from the other issues. I hope we can agree on that... ;D

pcstockton

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 09:36:13 am »

Just curious.... why is a swipe to advance the track is any easier/better than hitting the "next" button.  I personally dont dig on, and can never remember, multifinger taps and swipes.  Keep it simple.  Anything function that can be swiped should also be available via a button in my opinion.

Thanks,
Patrick

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 11:15:37 am »

rubberduck - agreed, we're not so far away.  I didnt want to over-complicate this : this was supposed to be a minor request!  :)

pcstockton - see my first post on this further up the page - when driving a car and listening to music on the "Now Playing" screen, trying to hit the next track button at the bottom of the screen is really hard as there are 3 other buttons in close proximity.

Hitting the home button is easy - its on its own at the top left of the screen.
Hitting the playlist button is easy : its also on its own, this time at the top right of the screen.

I'm not suggesting not having a button - I was merely asking for a simple way to advance tracks for those of us that use their iphone in the car from a safety aspect.
However the gesture is implemented - and lespaul says he agrees and it will be in in a couple of releases, once some real issues have been resolved:) - I'll be happy with.

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »

Hello Lespaul,

Finally JRiver team included a SDK option to link and unlink zones!!! Could we expect the option to link and unlink zones in your next version of JRemote?

pcstockton

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 02:41:41 am »

when driving a car and listening to music on the "Now Playing" screen, trying to hit the next track button at the bottom of the screen is really hard

Really hard??  It is not "really hard".  But whatever.  If you want swipes and LesPaul can accommodate you then yay!  LesPaul is amazing huh?

To me it isn't as "really hard" as remembering how many fingers to use and which way I am supposed to swipe, especially when the phone is upside down in my drink holder because the earphone out is on the bottom now.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 11:50:30 am »

Well maybe not "really hard", like brain surgery is really hard, but shall we say "inconvenient" - better?!! 

Yes lespaul is great, as is jremote.

Listen, I dont want to be a contortionist either!  Keep the buttons (I never said remove them btw) and you're happy.
Introduce one simple finger swipe for next track, I'm happy.
Have a 6 finger salute while standing on your head to implement Zone 3, with Dolby 5.1 and Ape playback only and Rubberduck is happy!   :-*

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »

Sometimes it is hard not to reply... ;D

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 07:04:51 pm »

i love it  ;D
(Was hoping you'd have a laugh!)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:37 pm »

I'm finally getting around to updating you on this...

Flipping the toggle to allow MC to transcode these solves the playback issue.  However, it is odd.  I tried setting MC up with higher quality MP3 streaming, which causes the transcoded MP3 files to be roughly the same bitrate as the original M4A files.  Even with it set this way, JRemote still streams them fine if the transcoding is enabled (and fails with it disabled).  So, it isn't outbound bandwidth limits on my home connection.  That "fits" because when it fails, it always fails exactly the same way.  The song starts playing, plays for 1-3 seconds or so, and then the app freezes.

In any case, I don't particularly care about streaming them native, so I'll leave that bit flipped on.

jron

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 08:30:54 am »

Primarily what I'd be using the iPad for would be controlling my install of JRiver on my HTPC that is hooked up to my home theater. Does J Remote handle adding music to the current play que and reordering/removing songs on the play que easily? I couldn't tell 100% from looking at the screenshots/feature list. Thanks

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 05:27:03 pm »

Primarily what I'd be using the iPad for would be controlling my install of JRiver on my HTPC that is hooked up to my home theater. Does J Remote handle adding music to the current play que and reordering/removing songs on the play que easily? I couldn't tell 100% from looking at the screenshots/feature list. Thanks

Yes, it does all that perfectly. Your setting is the comfort zone of MC and JRemote as I see it.

However, regarding removing tracks from the playing now "easily" you have to ask toomanybarts... Strike! ;D
(@jron: ignore that, it's just an insider joke)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 17   Go Up