INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon AutoRip  (Read 2850 times)

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Amazon AutoRip
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:02 pm »

When did amazon start offering to give you the mp3 album for free when you buy the CD?

Not only do you get the CD that can be ripped to lossless later but you get the mp3 album to listen to NOW via download or cloud player.

I love this.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Amazon AutoRip
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:50 am »

When did amazon start offering to give you the mp3 album for free when you buy the CD?

Not only do you get the CD that can be ripped to lossless later but you get the mp3 album to listen to NOW via download or cloud player.

I love this.

It only applies to certain CDs where they worked out the licensing, but the exceptionally cool part (from my perspective as someone who has been buying CDs from Amazon for years) is that they made it retroactive! 

CDs I had already bought going back a few years that were eligible got added to the cloud player for download (I think about 170).  In one case that was a life saver as the CD in question (in a thin cardboard sleeve) arrived with a deep scratch on one track that I didn't notice in time to return it, but now I have a good version of that track on tap (albeit not a lossless one). 

It's an awesome feature for a lot of reasons.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:30:35 pm »

It only applies to certain CDs where they worked out the licensing, but the exceptionally cool part (from my perspective as someone who has been buying CDs from Amazon for years) is that they made it retroactive! 

CDs I had already bought going back a few years that were eligible got added to the cloud player for download (I think about 170).  In one case that was a life saver as the CD in question (in a thin cardboard sleeve) arrived with a deep scratch on one track that I didn't notice in time to return it, but now I have a good version of that track on tap (albeit not a lossless one). 

It's an awesome feature for a lot of reasons.

Oh, yeah, I noticed the retroactive part.  Way way cool.

RSleith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:14:47 pm »

The only bummer for me is that they do not apply it to CDs purchased as "gifts". In hindsight, it was stupid of me to select that option, since in almost every case I had it shipped to me  :(

Oh well, lesson learned...
Pages: [1]   Go Up