INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are long path names supported?  (Read 2499 times)

sskings

Are long path names supported?
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:38 pm »

I would like to reformat my library to include more info in folder names that contain music files....  Before attempting just wanted to be sure what is the longest folder names and path names that are supported.  I assume the answers are 256 characters and 32K characters respectively.  Is this correct?  Thanks.  Steve

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Are long path names supported?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »

There are some limits when using the Rename tool when paths are constructed from fields.  It is not clear to me what the limit is, but don't try to approach the limits of the FS.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:05 am »

There's a limit, and I'm afraid it might be under 256 characters. There was some fuzz about this a while ago. Some problems was solved with shorter paths, and some had a few problems with long paths being corrupted. So, I would advice you to make it as short as you can without sacrificing to much data.

Remember that as long as you use MC and it contains all the data, you can reconstruct it in what ever way you'd like. So there's not really that important to duplicate so much tag info.
I usually use: "Music\Artist\Album[Year]\Track # - Artist - Name". And I've never had a problem with finding what I want. In MC or from other sources.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:42:22 am »

I've had just a few tracks over the years ( always seems to beclassical music with very long names  ;D ) where the resultant pathname ends up soooo very  long, it gets truncated. I'm not sure what the limit is, but it's plenty for 99.99% of the cases...at least for me.
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:09 am »

To be clear, the limits the others are referring to above are ONLY regarding using MC itself to do the renaming changes (via the Rename, Move, and Copy tool).  MC fully supports importing, playing, and using files with all valid pathname lengths.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up