INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions on Library import, Twonky and tagging  (Read 2446 times)

RustyZip

Questions on Library import, Twonky and tagging
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:43:04 am »

Hello.

My setup is a Win 7 PC with a Linn Akurate DS (digital streamer) using FLAC files from a NAS (Twonky server installed) - using JRiver v18.

Currently i have tried to import my FLAC library by importing the Twonky library and by importing by "folder".

Using the Twonky library seems a lot more responsive and "quicker", but the bitrate in the status bar or tags do not show up.

Also the "personal rating" tags are not carried into JRiver.

If i use the import library by folder, then bitrate shows in the status bar, and the personal rating tags are imported too.

Can someone shed some light on why this might be happening ?

Thanks for any info....

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Questions on Library import, Twonky and tagging
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:59:15 am »

Possibly because Twonky is not sending the bitrate and ratings?

RustyZip

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:51:30 am »

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.

Do you know how to find out if Twonky is sending that info ?

Or find out exactly what Twonky sends to JRiver ?

Does it have anything to do with the "navigation tree" of Twonky ?

If so im using Twonky 6.0.39, and with this version you cannot alter / see the tree ?!

Sorry im a bit vague, but this all greek to me !

Thanks.....

RustyZip

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:44:45 am »

Anyone ?

Pretty please......   ;)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:59:35 am »

I think there are uPNP/DLNA "sniffer" programs that can tell you what the network traffic is and what data is being sent by what device. Alternatively you could try Twonky support to ask if they send bitrate and ratings via DLNA.

If importing the files directly from the NAS into JRiver actually works for you then just use that way and turn off Twonky, as you can then avoid the limited Twonky navigation tree and you can harness the full power of JRiver, setting up your own custom browsing structures and categorisation.  Connecting JRiver to a remote DLNA server is probably adding an extra network layer that you don't really need.

I would suggest that the perceived better responsiveness via DLNA is odd - this would only happen if your NAS is more powerful than your PC. A local JRiver library should be lightning fast.  Can you cxplain which bits are not as responsive for you in a local JRiver library - is it browsing the library, is it the time taken from selecting a file to it actually playing, is it responsiveness of the transport controls, etc?

RustyZip

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:19:22 am »

Thanks for the reply.

Ive fixed my problem - i think somehow because i had it pointed to Twonky it wouldnt load the library properly for some reason, i then pointed it to the NAS, but through the Network(?), not by folder(?) and it did the same.

As soon as i pointed it to the NAS share (by folder) , it loaded all the music and analyzed it - it hadnt done that before - and voila ! it worked.

It is now lightning fast as well !

Pages: [1]   Go Up