Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cannot switch between PCM and DSD at MC18  on Korg DS-DAC-10

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot switch between PCM and DSD at MC18  (Read 6709 times)

kencmh

Cannot switch between PCM and DSD at MC18
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:40:00 pm »

I'm using Korg DS-DAC-10 and already set up Bitstreaming as follow:

Select 'ASIO' in Options > Audio > Output mode (and configure 'Output mode settings...' as necessary)
 Select Options > Audio > Bitstreaming > Custom... and check _only_ 'DSD'

It is fine when playing either PCM or DSD files.  However, when i switch between PCM and DSD files, no sound output.  I need to manuelly change the mode back to PCM  or DSD at the KORG control panel before I can switch to play the other format.

Any clue for this situration?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Cannot switch between PCM and DSD at MC18
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:16:26 pm »

Welcome.

I think this means the Korg ASIO driver is not handling output mode changes nicely.

Does it work if you stop playback, wait a few seconds, then play the other format?

We would be happy to work with Korg if you have a contact.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kencmh

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:52 pm »

"Does it work if you stop playback, wait a few seconds, then play the other format?"
No. It can't work. If I play PCM, either 44.1, 96 or 192, it can switch and play smoothly. But when I switch to play DSD, no sound come out until I change the mode to DSD at Korg driver control panel. Same situation happens when I switch back to play PCM files.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:32:15 am »

But when I switch to play DSD, no sound come out until I change the mode to DSD at Korg driver control panel.

Is it possible this is just how the hardware works?

Does any other program switch from PCM to DSD using the ASIO driver?

Ideally the device should switch modes when we call ASIOFuture(kAsioSetIoFormat, ...).  Maybe you could ask Korg?  Feel free to share my email (matt at jriver dot com).

Thanks.

kencmh

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:26:40 am »

It works at Audiogate.  When I play at Audiogate, I can switch between PCM and DSD smoothly.  I had already raised this issue to KORG as well.  Waiting for their reply.

kencmh

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:53:49 am »

Just got the reply from KORG.  DS-DAC-10 uses its own command to change the mode between PCM and DSD. So only the AudioGate and DS-DAC-10 ControlPanel can change the mode at this moment.  Hope the next version of DS-DAC-10 driver can be compatible with JRiver.  Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:00:49 am »

Just got the reply from KORG.  DS-DAC-10 uses its own command to change the mode between PCM and DSD. So only the AudioGate and DS-DAC-10 ControlPanel can change the mode at this moment.  Hope the next version of DS-DAC-10 driver can be compatible with JRiver.  Thanks!

Assuming they're writing the ASIO driver, you might suggest they support ASIOFuture(kAsioSetIoFormat, ...) to switch between DSD and PCM.

Like I said above, I'd be happy to help them if they contact me.

dualazmak

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »

You would please let me join the discussion since I am also using Korg's DS-DAC-10 and AudioGate playback software.  With AudioGate and DS-DAC-10, as kencmh kindly pointed, we can choose either "automatic bit perfect mode" or "bit fixed (always up-sampling or down-sampling) mode" all throughout PCM 44.1, 48.0,88.2, 96.0, 176.4, 192 KHz "AND" DSD 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz.  When I set sampling rate fixed to "5.6 MHz DSD", then all the music files are real-timely up-sampled to 5.6 MHz DSD by AudioGate, and played-back as 5.6 MHz DSD format through ASIO driver to USB port connected to DS-DAC-10.

Although AudioGate sounds very good and automatically control DS-DAC-10 throughout PCM and DSD, the music library functions with AudioGate is actually very poor or nothing, as you may well aware.  I would like to have JRiver's wonderful library features together with its ASIO full control of DS-DAC-10 throughout "44.1 - 192 KHz PCM AND 2.6, 5.6 DSD" by both of the "Automatic Bit-Perfect mode" and "Bit Fixed (up/down-sampling) mode".  I believe that Korg has incorporated their own, looks well established, real-time up/down-sampling technologies (with Korg Aqua dither filters?) in AudioGate software, and I do hope that JRiver would also feature such real-time up/down-sampling playback mode.

With my huge music library consists of 44.1, 96.0, 192 KHz 16/24 bit AIFF and FLAC files "AND" 2.8, 5.6 MHz DSD files, I would like to achieve automatic bit-perfect playback and also real-time up-sampling to 5.6 MHz DSD to be transfer to ASIO - USB - DS-DAC-10.

Although I am not yet fully understanding the "real-time up-sampling" features with JRiver, your kind suggestions/guidance, and any information on future planning on real-time up-sampling up to 5.6 MHz DSD will be highly appreciated.   

dualazmak

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:22 am »

Hello Matt and kencmh,

I do hope you two are still looking at this discussion.

Last week, just like kencmh kindly has done, I also contacted with Korg development team about their ASIO driver commands in detail in Japanese.  I received a responce from them today telling that their ASIO dev. team now well recognize/aware of the issue, i.e. full control of DS-DAC-10 ASIO from MC18(19) just similar to that AudioGate is doing, and they will provide enough and suitable information to JRiver Team "soon".    I do not know how "soon" they will provide such information to you, but at the end of the response they said "your kind patience for a little while (sukoshi-dake, in Japanese) will be highly appreciated".

In reply, I requested Korg also to inform me when they would provide such information to JRiver team, so that I can try/test the control option features as soon as possible, and exchange information here at this support forum.

I am very much looking forward to having full compatibility/control of DS-DAC-10 ASIO by MC18(19); until then I  manually set the PCM or DSD mode by the Korg DSD Control Panel every time I switch between PCM and DSD files.  For your info., within the DSD bitstream mode, switch between 2.8 and 5.6 MHz modes can be done automatically depending on the music source even with current settings.

One and a half

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:54 pm »

I also use KORG DS-DAC-10 and in the same situation.

With good fortune, JRMC19 has feature to take account of DSD128 output to the Korg. It is necessary to have the 1.0.3 driver and 1.0.4 Firmware.

Tools|Options|Audio Device, select KORG USB Audio Device Driver (ASIO).

Device Settings, set Buffering to 500 milliseconds
Open the device control panel from Tools | Open Driver Control Panel this window and change the driver to DSD and 5.6448MHz.

DSP & Output format | Output Encoding 2xDSD in native format (requires ASIO and 2xDSD capable DAC)

Bitstreaming : None

So far every now and again, I get little random clicks in the playback, but this is due to having the USB HDD with music files on the same bus as the Korg, and using my work PC with many programs open, all of which is not optimal, but the concept certainly works. With different sample rates, there is a slight pause, even when set to Gapless maybe, 1-1.5s maximum, but this occurs with 18 as well.
Gapless play is normal for the same fs.

The Korg sounds a lot better in this mode, and it plays everything and no need to set the driver to match the sample rate, since all music played is changed to DSD2x. So doesn't matter if the track is mp3, FLAC, DSF, everything works in auto mode.

dualazmak

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:40:43 pm »

Thanks so much, One and a half,

As you kindly suggested, with latest build of MC19, now I am using the 2XDSD Encoding with Krog DS-DAC-10 which always enables real-time up-sampling of all of the audio files to 5.6 MHz 1 bit DSD.  When I play DSD 2.8 MHz file, the playback is automatically changed into 2.8 MHz DSD which I can confirm by the LEDs of DS-DAC-10.  These features are really, really nice with DS-DAC-10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up