INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Smartlist to find duplicates of a list of files such as "Recently Imported"  (Read 1360 times)

cberry1010

• Junior Woodchuck

?

OK, I have searched the forum and found many threads about finding duplicates. However, with spinning head, I did not find the answer to my particular dilemma.

I want to list all (audio only) dups in my library of a group of mp3 files such as those in the "Recently Imported" smartlist. 

"Duplicate" criteria would be "Name" and "Artist".

I hope this makes sense and, will appreciate any help.   :)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

Create a new smartlist or use the Search Wizard to enter the query as shown in the attached screenshot.

I understood that you wanted to look in a given smartlist/playlist for dups, so you'll notice the inclusion of the Playlists rule.  If you want to look at your entire Audio library, remove that Playlists rule.

You'll want to be in your Audio section of the tree.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cberry1010

• Junior Woodchuck

OK, thanks MrC

But, I think I didn't convey exactly what I want.

I don't want to find dups in "Recently Imported".

I want to list dups of the files in "Recently Imported" that exist in my entire library.

This would be a subset of all the dups that exist in my Library.

I hope this is a better explanation?   :-[

Thanks.

MrC

Ok, remove the Playlists entry above and create a Smartlist with the other items.

In the Smartlist file list, add a Playlists column.  Then, click on the column header to sort by Playlists, and you'll see files that belong to any playlists including Recently Imported.  If they are in this list and are in the Recently Imported smartlist, you've found your dups.

cberry1010

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you for your patience, MrC. 

However, this is not working as I need it to. 

Maybe another approach?  If I right-click on a file in the "Recently Imported" list, and then click "Locate --> Name", I get a new screen that lists all matches in my library for that Name.  This is close enough to what I want!  :) 

Except, this does not work for more than one file selected at a time.  It would save me alot of time if this could be done for all the "Recently Imported" files at once.  Then, I would not have to switch back and forth between screens (especially when there are many files in "RI").

I would appreciate any ideas, and thanks again.   ?

MrC

I'm not sure how else to accomplish this in MC.  The ~dups and ~nodups search modifiers return a random selection from the dups, so you can't ensure values come from a given list.  In other words, the lists of items are collected in a random ordered, and dup evaluation is done on that random order.

What you want is to return all tracks from RI that already in the library as per name,artist.

cberry1010

• Junior Woodchuck

Exactly!  :D

I wish I had said it that way from the beginning.  No problem, I will do it one file at a time as I have time.

Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up