INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center Not Working w/My Movies?  (Read 5815 times)

yahknow1

• Recent member
JRiver Media Center Not Working w/My Movies?
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:53:18 pm »

Hi, I followed the instructions according to the Wiki:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MyMovies

After marking the box to enable "Store meta-data for JRiver MediaCenter (Sidecar.xml files)". The movie I chose to test DID NOT show up in JRiver files? Now what? The Wiki doesn't give steps to take to perform if this didn't work?

Is there a directory I need to point JRiver to look at? This seems to me to be my problem? What directory does MM database reside? Or am I way off track?

Sorry if this is a question I should be asking Binnerup!

Thanks for any info!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: JRiver Media Center Not Working w/My Movies?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 01:47:11 pm »

Are the movies in an MC auto-import path?

Did you run Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

yahknow1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »

Yes, It's a pretty basic setup, nothing out of the ordinary. I just keep my offline discs there as a way of neatly looking through my collection. As far as running :

Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)?

Was that step in the wiki? if so, i did...I'll have to check and get back. Thanks

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »

I'm confused then.

You said this is a test movie, and that it didn't show up in MC.  This would indicate that it is not in an MC auto-import path (or it is there, and you've not noticed it).

Or it is not under an MC auto-import path, and you've not Imported the movie itself yet.

yahknow1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »

I'm sorry my statement is confusing.

I re-read the wiki and it's precisely at that point where things stop working for me? This is what I did as pasted from the Wiki:

Go to Tools > Options > Meta Data Storage and check: "Store meta-data for JRiver MediaCenter (Sidecar.xml files)".
 Click "Apply" and OK.

User Access Control will require confirmation of this change.

As a test, select one of your movies and click on "Save Title". This will cause the JRSidecar file for that movie to be replaced

How do I verify this has happened, because the movie I tried didn't appear in my MC library?

The Wiki goes on to say:

Go to Video > Files and find the same movie. But how can I do this if I cant find the movie?
Right click and select Library Tools > Update Library (from tags

It's almost as if I need to tell MC to go on a media search in my computer to find my collection? Could that be my problem, if so what's the best way to proceed, I looked for that once and it appears there's a couple ways to do that?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:11 pm »

Configure Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-Import with the highest level path that includes your video files.  This will allow MC to scan the folder tree and import the media files.

yahknow1

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 03:43:24 pm »

MrC or someone, could you please help. I'm using Windows 7 and totally stock settings on everything. I'm a little confused on your instruction to "Configure Auto-Import with the highest level path that includes your video files"?
I tried selecting Library>Videos thinking that might be the logical highest directory, it didn't work though!

Then I started thinking "Don't I need to know where MM stores the data for the movies and searched high and low and can't find it!?

Please, could you be a bit more specific to this path I need to point towards?

Thanks! ?

MrC

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 04:22:53 pm »

I don't know where your movies are - hopefully you know that!

See the attached screenshot for configuring Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-Import.  Add your movie directory - my top-level is M:\Movies.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »

MrC or someone, could you please help. I'm using Windows 7 and totally stock settings on everything. I'm a little confused on your instruction to "Configure Auto-Import with the highest level path that includes your video files"?
I tried selecting Library>Videos thinking that might be the logical highest directory, it didn't work though!

Then I started thinking "Don't I need to know where MM stores the data for the movies and searched high and low and can't find it!?

Please, could you be a bit more specific to this path I need to point towards?

Thanks! ?

I think you are confusing some things. My movies is a library manager which sits on windows media center. When you tick the box store meta data in sidecar format my movies stores it meta tag in a mc compatible sidecar file. My movies puts this sidecar file in the same folder (under same path) than the movie file. The path is shown in mymovies under "disk location" if i remember correctly. That's all it does. You say you hold offline disks in mymovies : mc doesn't work like that. It takes video and audio files and plays it very very simply said. You'll not be able to use mc for offline files so easily (i stand to be corrected)
Then in MC you need to import your library or collection and mc will list your movie with the mymovies tags.
Search the mymovies forum as the sidecar doesnt work with all file types if i'm not mistaking. I'm also not sure where a sidecar would be put for offline discs. That's a question you should address in the mymovies forum.
Btw MC also has a tagging function which eventhough not as complete as mymovies is also very good.

yahknow1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »

ah, ok thanks! yea, all my movies are "offline" stored movies. in other words. they are all Blue Ray Discs. I have a post in on the MM forums asking for the directory that the offline data is stored in. I'm hoping this will be the directory the sidecare file is made from? :-\

Thanks!

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:04:57 pm »

ah, ok thanks! yea, all my movies are "offline" stored movies. in other words. they are all Blue Ray Discs. I have a post in on the MM forums asking for the directory that the offline data is stored in. I'm hoping this will be the directory the sidecare file is made from? :-\

Thanks!

Without going into the talk " is it legit to make bd copies on hd " : you should put in one of your blurays and then rip the bd with Mc18. This would be a good start to see afterwards what mc can all do how it handles builds and tags its library and the superb video and audio quality you get when then playing back from it....

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »

Thanks!

Sidecar.xml files are only created by MyMovies for "on-line" movies. (JRiver) MC's library only holds info for on-line media (ripped CDs, DVDs, etc.; downloaded music, movies, etc.; photos; recorded TV; etc.). If you don't have any on-line media, is there even a reason to use MC?

If you have movies on-line, configure your MyMovies profile for each on-line movie with the file location. You will then have a sidecar.xml file, stored with the movie, for each on-line movie. MC can then use the sidecar.xml files.

MrC

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 05:27:48 pm »

Sorry, I hadn't realized your movies were not ripped.

yahknow1

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:10:12 pm »

You guys got to be kidding me, this does me no good what so ever! :( I guess I'll just use the two programs individually. You realize how much more the cost is to rip Blu-ray to HDD vs. 25GB BDR ? Plus if I loose a HDD I've lost all that time, money and the copies themselves!

Sorry fellas, I sure wish somebody would look into doing something similar to what MM does? OR just somehow use MM's data?

But at least my problem solved! lol

Thankyou

MrC

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:06 pm »

There is a separate database maintained by MC that catalogs the physical discs that it has seen.  Content does not have to be ripped for these discs.  Metadata can be managed for those entries perfecly fine.

But I'm not sure how one could import an xml/mpl for these entries though, as their Filename field references an opaque internal ID for the disc.

<Field Name="Filename">(0x5A5F8F20):\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1</Field>

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:45 am »

Sorry fellas, I sure wish somebody would look into doing something similar to what MM does? OR just somehow use MM's data?

UUhhh ? Google is your best friend...you are really misunderstanding the concept of audio/video player software. I Tunes, Media Center, JRiver, foobar and and and are programs which allow you to play video and audio files stored on your computer. Most of them allow you as well to tag the files by searching info on public databases and organize the files in a library.  My movies has this special function that it tags your library and also provides you with "offline" mode which tells you to put the disk in your drive when you want to play it. Also talking about the cost to rip Bluray to HDD makes me believe that you are not really grasping the concept of HD stored audio/video files. Storing audio and video is deemed to give you better/quicker access and once you have 2000CD, 500BD or such you will also see that one, two or even three HDs definitely uses less "physical" space as a whole cabinet in your room. Furthermore more and more audio provider offer their music on download.

What you are looking for is a library manager for "physical" sources. There an alternative to MyMovies is Collectorz.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 07:38:33 am »

sorry double post
Pages: [1]   Go Up