INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Request] Move the categories view over to the side.  (Read 2507 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
[Request] Move the categories view over to the side.
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:59:59 am »

Because there's so much functionality hidden within MC18, I'm still spending some time trying to get my main library views set up just right.

I think I know what I want now, but I'm not sure that it's actually possible. Using the categories view grouped by album artist seems best suited for how I browse my library, but the problem is that you end up having to keep closing the file browser to view a decent number of thumbnails at the same time.

Is there any way to move that over to the right-hand-side like you can with the "panes" view?

This is how things are now:

And this is what I'm hoping to achieve (photoshopped)

This way you have a good amount of space to browse thumbnails, and you get maximum vertical space to show all the tracks, rather than splitting the height between them.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Any way to move the categories view over to the side?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:09:55 am »

Try splitting the view, using Columns.

View > Split View > Show 2 Views
View > Split View > Columns
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:46 am »

That just seems to give me two completely independent views, rather than listing files for the selected item in the right side.

vagskal

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:02:34 pm »

You could try to lock the view with the artists and use right click Locate => Artist, or the little search arrow if you are using a file list. Then the albums would show in the other view.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:27:11 pm »

You could try to lock the view with the artists and use right click Locate => Artist, or the little search arrow if you are using a file list. Then the albums would show in the other view.
Thanks. I've tried that and it doesn't seem to be working for me. And from trying split view some more, I've just seen that it only changes one of the views if I switch from Audio to Video, which is no use at all.

So from these suggestions, it seems like this is not currently possible.

Re: [Request] Move the categories view over to the side.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:00 am »

Just wanting to bump this topic again. Library management is getting increasingly difficult for me now that I have multiple versions of the same album imported, and I'm starting to get lists of file that look like this in the default views. (CD/SACD/SACD Multichannel)

By using increasingly complex grouping methods, it can be brought somewhat under control (including [Description] and [Channels] for example) but because you can't create groups that have a custom sort order, it looks ugly.

The more I add to my library (recently I have been trying to acquire other versions of some albums which have a better master) the more difficult it has been to manage, and I think I will have to switch over to using the panes view.

But this has the same problem as I demonstrated in the first post - browsing your library, viewing files for the currently selected library item (typically artist or genre) shares the same vertical space, so you don't really get enough for either task, and I find myself constantly resizing them.

Now with the panes view, there is an option to move them over to the left or right, but if you have more than one pane, it becomes useless as it splits vertically (again) and you cannot resize the split.
When using the panes view, at a minimum, I would want to show [Genre], [Album Artist (auto)], and [Album].

Just now when you go to add a pane, even if you are set to the left/right pane view, the context menu gives you the option of Add Category To Left/Right…, when it really means Above/Below.

I would like to suggest renaming the context menu to Above/Below so that it makes sense, and adding the ability to actually add panes to the Left & Right of the current item.
For this to work well, you would of course need to enable Filter in both directions

Mockup:

The Genre and Album tags don't need full vertical height, but the Artists section almost requires it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up