INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes tag editing harder than necessary  (Read 17383 times)

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
What makes tag editing harder than necessary
« on: March 23, 2013, 02:08:39 am »

I wrote this already in another topic, but i think it is better to have it separate.

• When renaming (editing) a field in one or more selected rows in the grid and selecting from multiple possible values, the combobox never disappears from the GUI until MC is restarted.
  • After accepting a value in the edited field with ENTER/RETURN, the application goes to the background and has to be cmd-TABed to get it to the foreground again.
  • Tabbing to the next column (instead of ENTER/RETURN - to remain in edit mode) isn't possible.
  • To edit a field, the secondary mouse click (or menu) has to be used. F2 would be handy.
  • The message "Saving tag changes …" doesn't disappear from the status line until the grid is clicked elsewhere.
  • Up and down keys don't work in edit mode. Can't edit previous/next record without leaving edit mode.
  • ESC key doesn't work to exit the combobox when choosing from different values.
  • There is no info how many records are left to write (in the status line).
  • When a column is too narrow to show the complete contents of a field then a tooltip with the complete contents of the field is shown in front of that cell when the mouse pointer is over it. In this case the field can't be edited or selected. I have tooltips disabled in options.

(MC 18.0.155, MacOS 10.6.8 and 10.7.5)

erviv

• World Citizen
Re: What makes tag editing impossible
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:52:58 am »

I have the same issues, although I have not tried the 155 release yet.  Will check it tomorrow.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

scottlf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:22:05 pm »

I can't select tracks (or anything else) by clicking that extend beyond the edge of the window. I have also noticed that sometimes the program just doesn't respond to left-button clicks and it takes a right-button click to wake it up again, then it starts working. Usually this happens a while after the program has been running. I'm using a Magic Mouse, if that has any bearing, and I'm on the latest OS (10.8.3) version.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:24:51 am »

It would be nice, if tagging would be possible, soon ;).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 10:06:53 am »

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 10:53:45 am »

• When renaming (editing) a field in one or more selected rows in the grid and selecting from multiple possible values, the combobox never disappears from the GUI until MC is restarted.
  • After accepting a value in the edited field with ENTER/RETURN, the application goes to the background and has to be cmd-TABed to get it to the foreground again.
I can't reproduce these in build 156.
  • Tabbing to the next column (instead of ENTER/RETURN - to remain in edit mode) isn't possible.
  • To edit a field, the secondary mouse click (or menu) has to be used. F2 would be handy.
  • The message "Saving tag changes …" doesn't disappear from the status line until the grid is clicked elsewhere.
  • Up and down keys don't work in edit mode. Can't edit previous/next record without leaving edit mode.
  • ESC key doesn't work to exit the combobox when choosing from different values.
  • There is no info how many records are left to write (in the status line).
  • When a column is too narrow to show the complete contents of a field then a tooltip with the complete contents of the field is shown in front of that cell when the mouse pointer is over it. In this case the field can't be edited or selected. I have tooltips disabled in options.
We have these problems on our list to fix.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:44 am »

I can't reproduce these in build 156.

I rechecked these items and found that you are right when you use MC build 156 on your local Mac.
The observed behavior appears when you use MC on a remote Mac (a headless MacMini server without a connected display - the media server - in my case) via Apple ScreenSharing (=VNC) which is probably a common use case. I control this server with a MacBook remotely.  

We have these problems on our list to fix.

Great!
I forgot the F5 key to refresh the view.

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:40:42 am »

I have the same problem in 156, I can no longer edit my file names.  This was not a problem in 154.  With the Edit/rename function the program basically aborts for me.  Will check it out again in the next build, as this is on the list of items to fix.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
Re: What makes tag editing hard in certain situations
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

MC 18.0.161 on MacMini, OS 10.6.8.

Thank you for enabling the keyboard shortcuts related to editing.
They are working now.

Still missing are the ones for the star-rating.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
Re: What makes tag editing harder than necessary
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:25:09 pm »

Just to remember, there are some important keys missing:

• F5 (Refresh)
  • Arrow up, Arrow down and Enter when you want to select and accept an item in the combobox in edit mode
  • Shift-Ctrl 1-5 for rating the file

TheOracle

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:56:41 pm »

Any plan in implementing service like MusicBrainz for online tagging?

Thanks.

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 06:50:14 pm »

Any plan in implementing service like MusicBrainz for online tagging?

Thanks.
Not at this time.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up