INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Girder..is this the way it is?  (Read 2222 times)

GlennH

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Girder..is this the way it is?
« on: March 06, 2003, 03:10:36 pm »

Hi Gang

I recently installed Girder, all commands are setup in Girder and the plug-in is OK in Media...

The thing is, some of the commands work,  others don't. The up and down arrows work to go through a list, but I am un-able to go through the playlist one page at a time. Is it normal for it to operate like this?  

Is anyone else using Girder, does it work flawlessly? On my HTPC Girder works very well.

When the plug-in for Girder is installed in Media.. my keyboard commands are shut-out, is this correct?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Girder..is this the way it is?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 07:13:58 pm »

The thing is, some of the commands work,  others don't. The up and down arrows work to go through a list, but I am un-able to go through the playlist one page at a time. Is it normal for it to operate like this?  

Is anyone else using Girder, does it work flawlessly? On my HTPC Girder works very well.

When the plug-in for Girder is installed in Media.. my keyboard commands are shut-out, is this correct?

Glenn,
I'm using Girder extensively with MJ/MC. I'm pretty happy with the control I have with MJ (I haven't had the time to upgrade everything for MC9, so let's ignore that for now).

First, the MJ Girder plugin shouldn't be blocking your keyboard shortcuts. That plugin is just a middleman to translate Windows Messages from Girder to MediaJukebox itself. I'm not sure what could be interfering with your keyboard control. Perhaps you have Girder eventstrings intercepting those keys?

Second, nearly everything works flawlessly for me. I've changed my GML to use both the MJ Girder plugin and keyboard shortcuts since I discovered some commands work better with one method, while other commands work better with the other.

The wrench in the situation is navigation. I had 2 threads asking about this a while back:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1039330690

and

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1031615828

I've never really resolved the navigation issues. What works for me most of the time is to make the Girder action correspond to an arrow key. The keyboard commands work best if MJ is the frontmost application & is the active window (ie. they don't work well when the window is in the background). Finally, the navigation works best if you have set focus in either the tree or the list side of the mega-me window. PageUp & PageDown work too, but again, the targeting & focus issues above need to be kept in mind.

Let me know if this helps!
Brad

GlennH

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 07:40:37 am »

Brad

Thank you very much for the extensive reply. I am using the latest version of Girder and the GML file that was listed on the Girder download site. For the life of me I don't see/can't get a 'Page-Up' 'Page-Down' to work on the playlist's.

Would you be kind enough to direct me to the GML file you are using? Are the page-up and page down commands already set-up in your file or did you set them up? I am not sure how to create new commands in Girder other than to download someone else's and load them.

I'd love to get keyboard commands into my Girder file. Maybe it is my remote, but I can't get Media.. to accept a 'Enter' command even though I assigned a remote command to it in Girder. I've tried various keys in Girder for the 'Enter' key and it tells me the command is accepted and yet Media.. doesn't respond.

As I said before on my Home theater PC / Girder and the TheaterTek DVD software works without a hitch, that's why I didn't hesitate to get another IRman/Girder for my MP3 machine.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you, Glenn

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 10:55:24 am »

Would you be kind enough to direct me to the GML file you are using? Are the page-up and page down commands already set-up in your file or did you set them up? I am not sure how to create new commands in Girder other than to download someone else's and load them.

My MJ8 GML is posted in a thread on the AVS Forums webboards. Several of us are trying to get a "plug-n-play" system working for several popular HTPC apps. I've chosen to focus on MJ/MC. Check out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=1915210#post1915210

I'd love to get keyboard commands into my Girder file. Maybe it is my remote, but I can't get Media.. to accept a 'Enter' command even though I assigned a remote command to it in Girder. I've tried various keys in Girder for the 'Enter' key and it tells me the command is accepted and yet Media.. doesn't respond.

Odd. Mine works fine. Make sure you check out Girder's getting started guide for basic GML editing tips:

http://www.girder.nl/help/gettingstarted/index.php

The "Enter" key problem is probably due to a targeting problem. There's a logging plugin in Girder that will (when you turn it on) show you all the events Girder has received and all the commands Girder has issued. That can be helpful in debugging where things need to be targeted.

Let me know if you need further assisstance!

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up