INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping to Server possible??  (Read 996 times)

yoyoc

• World Citizen
Ripping to Server possible??
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:55:17 pm »

I had asked this question several versions ago (when v15 orv 16!!)

Is it possible to rip a disk or download file from HD TRACKS or other services to a server from one client computer that is runing JRMC18 from the server library?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Ripping to Server possible??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:32:47 pm »

It's not supported to add media from a client.

You can sort of work around it by using UNC / mapped paths that the server can see, but this limits you to adding content on a LAN (so not from outside your LAN).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

yoyoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:19:14 pm »

Can I rip on the client and move the files to the Server folder?  will they be seen by the JRMC18 Server or would I have to rescan? or not possible?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:37:35 pm »

It's not supported to add media from a client.

You can sort of work around it by using UNC / mapped paths that the server can see, but this limits you to adding content on a LAN (so not from outside your LAN).

I posted about this earlier, actually, or intended to anyway... This used to be a simple workaround, but it doesn't work correctly right now (or not as ideally as it used to work).

Right now to do this:

MC18 won't let you rip files when your copy of MC is in Client Mode at all.  Ripping is totally disabled.  What you have to do is switch to a local library, and then rip the files using the local Library.  However, if you rip them with that local Library copy of MC directly to a network share that is watched by the Server (or rip them to a local folder and move them, but you might as well go directly because that works just as well), it'll automatically find the new files and import them.  When you are done ripping, just switch back to the network copy of the Library, and they'll be there waiting for you.

You can put a UNC path (or a network drive location) directly in the Options > File Location > Audio path field and it'll rip there.  Just make sure it rips somewhere the Server's copy of Auto-Import is watching.

But before:

You could just set the Options > File Location > Audio Path to the network drive that the server was watching and it would let you rip.  The problem was that it would let you rip no matter what (so it would lose the files if you ripped to a non-watched location).  That's bad and it led to confused customers for sure.  But the solution was to just disable ripping entirely when you are connected to a server.  So, now you are forced to switch to a local Library (because otherwise the Ripping option is just completely disabled).  MC got both "smarter" (by preventing people from trying to rip, only to have MC lose the files) and "worse" (because now you have to switch to a different library first, which is annoying if you want to rip some discs while you're doing something else in MC at the same time).

I get it, but it would be nice if we could find some sort of middle-ground.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:34:39 pm »

+1

The lack of rip and cover art support from a library server client are two very significant limitations in my opinion. There are other things too but these would be my top ones. It seems perfectly reasonable to expect the client is capable of these basic things.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up