INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Hauppauge HD PVR  (Read 2485 times)

GaryWW

• World Citizen
Help with Hauppauge HD PVR
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:12:06 am »

I just added a HD PVR to my home theatre. I hardly know what I am doing but after plugging everything in and installing the latest Windows 7 device driver (1.7.1.30059) from Hauppauge, MC 18.0.158 recognizes it. I am attempting to load the Program guide so I enter my Country (Canada) and Postal Code (N4T 0E5). In the Provider list, their are 2 entries for Rogers Cable Inc. Selecting either one produces the same results; no channels displayed (found). Help!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Help with Hauppauge HD PVR
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:24:26 pm »

You need to create a set of channels first.  For HD PVR, you create STB channels.  In standard view go to Drive & Devices > Television.  Click on the "TV Options..." button and choose "Scan for channels...".  A wizard window appears.  Uncheck "Scan for digital channels" checkbox and check "Scan for Set Top Box channels".  The rest of the wizard is similar to loading guide data.  Make sure you select the correct provider.  After the channels are obtained, the program will ask you whether you want to load programming guide.  Answer yes.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »

Also, for this device to work properly, you need to have a remote control set that includes an IR blaster to send IR signals to your set top box.  Once you have made sure the hardware and its driver are installed, go to Tools > Options... > Remote control in MC.  Click Next button.  On the "Selection" page, uncheck everything except the last one, "Set Top Box Numbers".  Then follow through the rest of the wizard to let MC learn about your set  top box remote signals (make sure you use the remote control provided by the TV service provider).

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:31:25 am »

So I am trying to configure the remote control before attempting to scan for channels. I have the HD PVR emitter connected and configured with the BlastCFG program. MC is reporting that I don't have a Media Centre receiver connected. Do I need to connect another IR blaster or only one that MC recognizes (and not the HD PVR emitter)?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:22 am »

Do I need to connect another IR blaster or only one that MC recognizes (and not the HD PVR emitter)?

I believe that is the case.  We do not support IR blaster directly on HD PVR.

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:40:09 am »

I believe that is the case.  We do not support IR blaster directly on HD PVR.

So do I connect the emitter to the HD PVR or the STB?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 05:12:02 pm »

So do I connect the emitter to the HD PVR or the STB?

Currently, the best supported system is the remote similar to this one.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:00:05 pm »

Currently, the best supported system is the remote similar to this one.

That's the one I've been using for a year or two and it works great. You stick the emitter on the window of the cable STB at the point it normally receives the signal from the remote. On my box it's just to the left of the channel numbers.

The wire end of the emitter has a small plug that plugs into the HP remote box. Then a USB goes from the remote box to the PC.

Hope that helps a little.

Rod

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:10:24 pm »

Thanks guys.

I had it in my mind that MC would be telling the HD PVR (via USB?) what channel to tune to and that the HD PVR would control the STB but I see now that the HD PVR is really only being used as a video passthru device. So MC has the channel list, TV guide & recording schedule and it controls the STB. The HD PVR just needs to be on.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 10:06:17 pm »

Thanks guys.

I had it in my mind that MC would be telling the HD PVR (via USB?) what channel to tune to and that the HD PVR would control the STB but I see now that the HD PVR is really only being used as a video passthru device. So MC has the channel list, TV guide & recording schedule and it controls the STB. The HD PVR just needs to be on.

You got it!

Rod

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37:23 am »

I received the MC IR Blaster a day to two ago :) and I have been playing around a bit. It doesn't appear that MC will power on/off the STB. Is this correct and MC be configured to do so? My STB is actually a PVR. Can MC be configured to copy (record) recordings from the PVR?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:52 am »

Regarding STB power, you can use one of the other functions - TV power, amplifier power for example.  With only two IR blaster supported on the device, you can't have them all.  Follow the instruction on the remote control setup wizard.  You can, for example, on the first page of the wizard, uncheck all except "Amplifier Power" and "Set-top Box Numbers", and then follow the wizard to setup these.

Copying recordings from the PVR seems to make little sense.  I believe you can do it though.  You probably will have to do some operations "manually".  You can for example, run the channel "Composite Hauppauge HD PVR Capture device" (or SVideo, or YRYBY, depending on your setup), and then manually play the recordings from your PVR.  That way, you can either watch or (re-)record in MC.

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 10:15:57 am »

I am currently only using 1 IR Blaster for the STB. The wizard didn't prompt for the power toggle but I think I added it correctly. So how do I tell MC that it needs to control the power of the STB (e.g. power on before recording or Watch Now, power off after recording or leaving the Guide)?

Actually I lied. The STB is not a PVR, it is a STB but I have a "whole home" system so the STB can access recordings on the PVR. So at any given time, I can record 2 episodes on the PVR (dual tuners) and MC can record a 3rd (single tuner STB). Assuming I would like everything stored on the NAS and playable by MC, I would need to get the PVR recordings off of it. The only way (I think) I can do that is to playback a PVR recording and have MC record it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:49 am »

The way we currently have, you need to manually use the remote control to turn the STB on or off.  The wizard steps I mentioned in the previous post actually ask you to choose a button on the remote control to act as "Amplifier power" button.  So that does not seem to help if you want it automatically turned on every time a recording is to start.  The only way is to keep it on all the time.

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 11:55:55 am »

OK. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up