INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resizing DVD Subtitles  (Read 2988 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Resizing DVD Subtitles
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:12:12 pm »

When watching 4:3 content and resizing the subtitles, they are getting cut off at the sides.
I don't know how subtitles are rendered, but would it be possible to have them displayed in a 16:9 area, even if the video is 4:3?

Example: (contains swearing)

I'm not sure about the horizontal position of the subtitles either. With longer subtitles like that example, they're being pushed off to the right rather than being centered, but shorter subtitles (e.g. a single word on its own line) do stay properly centered.

Is there some way of overriding the horizontal position so that all subtitles are displayed centrally?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Resizing DVD Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:18:27 pm »

And i thought MC was using LAV for DVD decoding now, which would print the subtitles directly onto the video image, directly in the position as defined in the bitstream, no matter how its resized/scaled/cropped.
Or is that a ripped MKV, not an actual disc via the DVD Navigator?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:22:36 pm »

And i thought MC was using LAV for DVD decoding now, which would print the subtitles directly onto the video image, directly in the position as defined in the bitstream, no matter how its resized/scaled/cropped.
Or is that a ripped MKV, not an actual disc via the DVD Navigator?
I ripped it to MKV. (it's a TV show - The Wire)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:24:25 pm »

I see, ripped MKVs use MC18's subtitle engine, so back to Matt the ball goes.  ;D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:31:32 pm »

Just checked, and you don't get the option to resize subtitles at all when playing off the disc:

A shame, as it's a useful feature.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:34:53 pm »

Well, I didn't even remember that we support sizing of image based subtitles.  That's neat.

Looking at the code, the placement tries to preserve the center point of the rectangle.  So a centered subtitle will stay centered, a subtitle under a certain character will stay there, etc.

Also, the code limits the amount of sizing so that it never grows outside the video.  So I can't explain why it's falling off the edge in your screenshot.  Would it be easy to provide a sample?

One note is that if the subtitle gets enlarged and was off center, it could get pushed to the center so it will fit.

As for putting subtitles outside the video, we're sometimes limited by the renderer.  With EVR, it's almost impossible unless we switched subtitles to a floating window (instead of an overlay in the renderer), and that would hurt performance.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:06:36 pm »

Well, I didn't even remember that we support sizing of image based subtitles.  That's neat.
I thought so too - I was bothered by how small some of the subtitles for this were, and was pleasantly surprised when I found the option to increase the size. I can only go to 110% without it cutting off subtitles though. (there were some in an earlier episode that were even wider than than example - I had to make the size larger for it to happen this time)

Looking at the code, the placement tries to preserve the center point of the rectangle.  So a centered subtitle will stay centered, a subtitle under a certain character will stay there, etc.

Also, the code limits the amount of sizing so that it never grows outside the video.  So I can't explain why it's falling off the edge in your screenshot.  Would it be easy to provide a sample?
Here you go: http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/19d45459 (just untick the "use our file manager" option to download directly)

As for putting subtitles outside the video, we're sometimes limited by the renderer.  With EVR, it's almost impossible unless we switched subtitles to a floating window (instead of an overlay in the renderer), and that would hurt performance.
I'm using madVR (ROHQ) which I think has a subtitle interface that would support this, but I really don't know.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:30 pm »

Thanks for the sample.

Next build:
Fixed: When increasing the size of image-based subtitles using the 'Size' setting, a subtitle could get too large to fit on the video and get truncated (now the subtitle will not be sized beyond the point of filling the video).

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:18:39 pm »

No problem, thanks for the quick fix.

I take it there's no easy way to extend subtitles to fill the screen then?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 04:28:29 pm »

I take it there's no easy way to extend subtitles to fill the screen then?

Not an easy way.

The subtitle engine targets the lowest-common-denominator for rendering, and EVR won't work with subtitles outside the video area.

Someday we may make the engine switch modes based on the renderer.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:35:09 pm »

OK, well thank you for this fix anyway. I'm constantly impressed by the pace of MC's development.
Pages: [1]   Go Up