INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server: playback issues  (Read 1586 times)

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
  • These are not the Druids you are looking for.
Library Server: playback issues
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:37 pm »

Having a playback issue over my LAN network where some files start 30 seconds into a song and others don't play at all ("Something went wrong with playback" error).

I'm streaming from an iMac Duo Core 2.4 GHz with an attached external drive that contains the library, to a MacBook Pro Quad Core 2.8GHz. The iMac has 4GB of RAM and the MacBook has 8GB RAM. In addition, also working on Server sharing between iMac and Windows PC using JRiver Media Center for Windows version 18.

OS versions: 10.7.5 Lion for both iMac and MacBookPro, Windows 7 for PC.

JRiver MC for Mac Alpha version: 166.

Types of files attempted: MP3, AAC, AIF. No DRM.

I've tried several Audio and Connected Media settings but no changes in performance.

Thanks -- Tom
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

AudioH

• Recent member
Re: Library Server: playback issues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:53:28 am »

Having a playback issue over my LAN network where some files start 30 seconds into a song and others don't play at all ("Something went wrong with playback" error).

I'm streaming from an iMac Duo Core 2.4 GHz with an attached external drive that contains the library, to a MacBook Pro Quad Core 2.8GHz. The iMac has 4GB of RAM and the MacBook has 8GB RAM. In addition, also working on Server sharing between iMac and Windows PC using JRiver Media Center for Windows version 18.

Thanks -- Tom

I have exactly the same issue though with slightly different iMac and MBP models. Attempting to stream from the iMAc via the MBP results in the above error.

I have reverted to playing audio files direrctly from MBP for the moment, asssuming future fix from JRiver. Streaming via Windows laptop with JRiver 18 also works fine as above.

iMAc 27" -> MBP (mid 2009)->USB DAC

Regards
Howard

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:16:13 pm »

Still having server playback issues, as of version Alpha 168. When attempting to access the Mac library from a PC, the library shows up and even loads a selected song but nothing happens. It's like it's missing a playback device even though I selected my default device. I'll try something else and see how that works.

No confirmation yet if my MacBook Pro playback issue is resolved. I will report that as soon as I check it again.

Specs: see starter post.
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:10 pm »

I have resolved the issue with the Library Server for iMac > PC by setting the output to "Primary Sound Device". However, my iMac > MacBook Pro sharing is still having playback issues as of Alpha 169. The MP3s always start about 15-30 seconds into the track, while AAC files won't play at all ("problem with playback" message). I'm using the built-in speakers as output. I have not attempted any other output method.

I've tried the "Default" setting and "Built-in output" as well, with the same results. I'm not sure why this behavior is happening; perhaps a sound card issue or buffering error?

Both the iMac and MacBook Pro are running Lion 10.7.5 and both are updated to Alpha version 169. I've checked Firewalls and port sharing. I get access, just the playback is not functioning as expected.

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)
Pages: [1]   Go Up