INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Server issue - "Specified output format only when necessary" doesn't work  (Read 2356 times)

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi there,

I don't know it this is the same for all DLNA clients, but for me and my Onkyo TX-8050 setting the DLNA server mode to "specified output format only when necessary" doesn't do what it should do (convert the file format if the DLNA client cannot handle it, if I understand that correctly). Instead it just converts regardless of the original file format. I could check that with FLACs that my client could play in "Original" mode but which were converted to 24 Bit PCM files anyways when the above option was selected. Does anyone else experience this issue?

Regards, JK

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

"specified output format only when necessary" doesn't do what it should do (convert the file format if the DLNA client cannot handle it, if I understand that correctly).

It converts anything that isn't required by the specification (L16 and MP3).  It does not look at the renderer.

We recommend always using 24-bit PCM if your device supports it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks for making that clear, couldn't find an explanation of these settings anywhere. Would it be possible to change this behaviour or would that require communication with the renderer that cannot be done?

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck

I ended up batch converting all my ALAC files to FLAC and using "Original" mode btw as I got hickups when streaming with 24 Bit PCM conversion enabled (due to the limited bandwidth of my client's WLAN connection, I guess). It would still be great if you could somehow implement a "Convert only when not supported by the renderer" option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up