INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lynx Aurora 16 heat and noise ?  (Read 6046 times)

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
Lynx Aurora 16 heat and noise ?
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:00:19 pm »

Some of you guys are using the Aurora 16...and I noticed the specs list it as consuming 70 watts.  This seems a little high for such a small box.  Does it have a fan?  How hot and noisy is the Aurora?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Lynx Aurora 16 heat and noise ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:09:31 pm »

I measured an Aurora 8 at 24W while playing:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77508.0

There's no fan (unless one starts at some temperature I never reached).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:12:00 pm »

I have the Aurora 16-VT.  Yes it gets very warm.  I wouldn't call it hot, but there is no fan.  Lynx uses the chassis as a heat-sync and therefore recommends leaving 1 RU of space above and below the unit for air movement.  I have mine in a home theater cabinet.  To deal with the heat, I went to Home Depot and purchased 4 black sewer pipe end caps for 3" pipe.  They are flat and about 1" tall.  Because the are black I can't see them, because they are for 3" pipe they have a nice wide base and ....  they were cheap.  :)  Also just for good measure I purchase a USB powered external adjustable fan.  I have the fan pointed at the back of the unit and it is adjusted to the fastest setting that is still inaudible with the cabinet door closed and the room quiet.

From a sound quality perspective I love it!!!
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:49:42 pm »

I have my Aurora 16-VT in a rack with one space above and below as recommended. No heat problems at all. There is no fan in it. It is silent.
I use these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=262-100

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:30:28 am »

I have an Auruora 8. The Auroras have an old fashioned toroidal transformer (not the noisy, switchmmode type). This generates heat. My experience is that when the A8 was placed far away from other heat generating equipment, some 100cm or so, it became luke warm but not more. I recently relocated it to the top of my stack of power amplifiers, with some 5-7cm free space between. The A8's ambient temperature then increased from around 20°C to more than 40°C. The A8 bacame really hot, even when idle. I could barely touch it. I moved it a bit further up (10-12cm distance from amplifiers, 10-12cm free space above). Now it is warm, but within reason, I think. Location and getting rid of warmed up air is thus of importance.

As there are no fans, it is relying on natural convection to get rid of heat. Lynx recommend locating the unit with some space around to increase its lifetime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up