INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ripping LPs. anyone use the Juli@?  (Read 1933 times)

erniemit

• Recent member
ripping LPs. anyone use the Juli@?
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »

A question for the Juli@ experts as I attempt to improve the system I am using.   I am using the ADC in my NAD phono preamp to send ripped LPs via USB digital to my Windows 7 PC.  Both the NAD ADC and the USB microphone driver is 16 bit x 48kHz.  I considered changing out the phono preamp to a Furutech, which has 24 bit x 96 kHz ability, but the PC driver is still limited to 16 bit due to the USB microphone driver in the PC.   I use Vinyl Studio to rip the LPs, and that can record my FLAC files at either 16 bit or 24 bit, so that's not a bottleneck.    I use WinAmp Pro to play the FLAC digital media I get from either ripping or buying from HDTracks.   Finally, I have a X-Fi Audio extreme sound card to output audio on optical digital at 24b x 96K to a DAC Magic.   That same sound card has an optical input that supports higher resolution, but how would you connect to that input with a device that is universally (from what I can tell) USB.  (USB turntables and phono preamps.)?

So, my two big questions are:
1.  Would the Juli@ solve my problems and get me to a place where all the parts in the chain support 24b x 96k?   
2.  Does the Juli@ with Cubase support FLAC encoding?  I noticed that after upgrading it would support 24b x 96, but the docs do not say what format it stores music in.  (Could be WMA or ALAC?)   

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: ripping LPs. anyone use the Juli@?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:10:39 pm »

> 1.  Would the Juli@ solve my problems and get me to a place where all the parts in the chain support 24b x 96k?   

I think so.  I am not very clear on the capabilities of the NAD gear.  Here is the way I recorded LPs content to Flac files.

turntable --->  phono input on preamp
preamp line out ---> Juli@ card analog input
audio stream ---> Audacity software or maybe Cubase.
(I know nothing aabout Cubase.)

With this setup, the preamp is amplifying the signal from the turntable to line level and outputting it. Mo A/D capabilities needed in the preamp.

> 2.  Does the Juli@ with Cubase support FLAC encoding?
>  I noticed that after upgrading it would support 24b x 96, but the docs do not say
> what format it stores music in.  (Could be WMA or ALAC?)   

The Juli@ card has nothing to do with the file format.  That's up to the software in your computer that you use to record the audio. If you want to store files in Flac format you can pick software that can write audio files in that format.  Or you can use another program to convert from WAV to Flac format.

Bill

DaLarry

• Recent member
  • Yesteryear's technology RIGHT NOW!
Re: ripping LPs. anyone use the Juli@?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »

I've used the Juli@ card to record vinyl to FLAC, but as the MOU* says, you need the right kind of software.  I've used both Reaper and Sound Saver by BIAS.  BIAS may be kaput but Reaper is still around.

*Master Of the Universe

The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic.
Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Pages: [1]   Go Up