INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New To DSD: Anybody Using a Sonore exD DSD DAC With JRiver for Mac?  (Read 8499 times)

InfernoSTi

• Recent member
  • Hawthorne Audio Reference Speakers

I'm going to be trying out a Sonore exD DSD DAC for DSD playback using JRiver for Mac and was wondering if anyone here had already tried that out?  If so, any tips/hints/things to try or avoid?  I anticipate receipt of the Sonore by the end of the week and am starting to get excited about it! 

This will be my first try at DSD, so I'm a little nervous about all the proper settings, playback of the different types of DSD files/sizes, etc.  And it doesn't help to be using an Alpha build so the player is still not being used by as wide an audience as the Windows version, so I realize I may be having to experiment a little (not a problem, I'm up for that, too). 

I would appreciate any comments at all that might get me moving in the right direction.  Thank you in advance!

Best,
John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: New To DSD: Anybody Using a Sonore exD DSD DAC With JRiver for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:44:27 am »

This should help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

Start by playing as PCM.  Once that works, you could try bitstreaming.  On Mac, to bitstream you will use DoP.

Have fun!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InfernoSTi

• Recent member
Re: New To DSD: Anybody Using a Sonore exD DSD DAC With JRiver for Mac?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:55:48 pm »

Thank you, Matt. 

The link makes it look simple...I will get things set up for PCM before I attempt DSD over DoP to make sure I have the DAC and JRiver speaking together properly.

Oh, and I got my tracking notice today! 

Best,
John

InfernoSTi

• Recent member

Sonore exD DAC arrived tonight...hooked up via USB.

PCM files play at 24/192.  

DSD files "play" but without any audio output.  The song loads in buffer then plays (you can see the play bar moving and the seconds ticking up/down).  In DSP Studio under Output Format, it says "Not available while bitstreaming" and the internal says "bitstreaming" and the source says 176.4/24 2 channel.  All that is as expected...just no audio coming out.

When I click a PCM song, it automatically adjusts to the proper playback.

Any suggestions on what to try next?  I'm hoping it is a simple "unclick the mute button" type deal, right?  

Thanks,
John

EDIT:  I can also turn off bitstreaming and play the DFF file just fine...it coverts to PCM and plays back nicely, confirming the files are good.

EDIT 2: I can get some stuttering/hissy/static music to play...and played with the output rates (taking them all the way up to 384 and down to 176.4 then back to 192.  

EDIT 3: I turned the DAC completely off and then back on...it worked smoothly on DSD for the first 3:45 of the song, then it went back to scratchy static.  Hmmm....progress of some kind.

EDIT 4: At 11:20 PM, playback is now smooth without clicks/pops...I fiddled around and then for no apparent reason it started working fine.  I would describe it as if some capacitors needed to warm up to play right...and once they did, all was fine.  Perhaps something got loose during shipping?  I'll explore that later...for now it's working fine!

Initial comments: DSD has greater depth and air (I found myself closing my eyes and picturing a much larger stage), it sounds better when you turn it up...nothing harsh, just more detail (I suspect I'll play DSD louder than PCM), and the cymbals sound more natural...softer, with huge decay.

So the bottom line is the Sonore exD plays DSD on a Mac via JRiver and it sounds great!

Best,
John

InfernoSTi

• Recent member

Well, after turning everything off, it's back to no audio from DSD again this morning.  PCM is fine still.  Hmmm....

EDIT:  I left JRiver and the DAC playing PCM files when I left for work...at lunch I came home and it played DSD files flawlessly immediately.

P.S. I'm using a 2009 Mac Mini with 8GB Ram, SSD internal drive, FW Oyen Data Drive connected via USB to the DAC.  I'm running the current build (176 as of last night).

EDIT 2: I think my USB ports have something to do with things.  I am playing fine now that I've removed all all other users of the USB ports (music storage by Firewire).  I'll see if this continues to be consistent.  5/3/13

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Today's build should be better for DSD on some devices.

If you still have problems, try different buffer settings in Options > Audio > Output mode settings.  Restart the program between changes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InfernoSTi

• Recent member

Today's build should be better for DSD on some devices.

If you still have problems, try different buffer settings in Options > Audio > Output mode settings.  Restart the program between changes.

Thanks, Matt!  I'm trying 180 now....

John

StephanL

• Recent member

Hi,
I am using a Playback Designs MPD-5 Dac and I donīt get JRiver to play DSD files. The settings are Output mode Core Audio, Output mode settings Usb-x, Chanel offset 0, Open device with exclusive access is ticked, with this setting the DAC is playing with 352,8 kHz. As soon as I select Bitstreaming DSD over PCM DoP the Dac switches to 176,4 kHz.
And also I do only have three options to change the Buffer settings: 1.) Maximum (power of two) 2.) Maximum 3.) Hardware default
What am I doing wrong??
Stephan

InfernoSTi

• Recent member

I'm not able to consistently play DSD with build 180.  I'm going to try 178 again....

What e-mail can I send a log file zip to, please?  I don't know if it will help but perhaps so...

John

EDIT:  I got things running on 178 again...then updated to 180 and had to play with the settings a bunch but have gotten it to play.  Need to set it to "Gapless" to play right, if I recall the final step being.  Not sure if I had that changed on 178 or if I reset that somewhere in the hunt for the right "click" to get play to return.  Perhaps all unrelated...I also did some rebooting, etc. also.

Things are running smooth....

P.S. I sent some log files to logs _at _jriver DOT com.

InfernoSTi

• Recent member

Hi,
I am using a Playback Designs MPD-5 Dac and I donīt get JRiver to play DSD files. The settings are Output mode Core Audio, Output mode settings Usb-x, Chanel offset 0, Open device with exclusive access is ticked, with this setting the DAC is playing with 352,8 kHz. As soon as I select Bitstreaming DSD over PCM DoP the Dac switches to 176,4 kHz.
And also I do only have three options to change the Buffer settings: 1.) Maximum (power of two) 2.) Maximum 3.) Hardware default
What am I doing wrong??
Stephan

Does it play PCM fine?  

I found that the order of things and a lot of unrelated settings make a difference.  Probably different for different DACs.  Try setting everything up, turn off your DAC, reboot you computer, and then start your DAC.  Perhaps it is failing to sense the USB as it should (very temperamental, DSD over DoP).  Also, try changing things like Gapped to Gapless (or the other way).  

Best of luck...mine occasionally stops playing but eventually I do enough stuff to get it back.

John

EDIT: And please make sure you only have the DAC connected to the USB ports...nothing else.  Use a firewire drive, NAS connection, or your on board disc for a source. Some DACs (mine) are very finicky with the USB ports and taking everything else out of the USB path was the real solution, it appears.
Pages: [1]   Go Up