INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SAT-TV + CI-Support  (Read 4515 times)

husmoaschta

• Recent member
SAT-TV + CI-Support
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:18:41 am »

Hi!

Don't you think, it would be time to FINALLY support SAT-TV with channel-decryption?

At least in whole Europe that would be highly appreciated and for sure bring you a whole bunch of new customers!!!

temps

Re: SAT-TV + CI-Support
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:08:35 am »

Same here.

I have installed J River Media Center because I thought I had finally found a replacement for the Windows Media Center. Well...wasted time. I can't beleave that in 2013 there are still TV-Softwareproducts not supporting CI-Modules.

Is this comming soon?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:40:52 am »

If the channels are encrypted, there is probably no way to support it.   We get no cooperation from cable companies.

husmoaschta

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:48:04 pm »

We get no cooperation from cable companies.

Probably not. Since there are not so many CABLE(!) companies, offering SAT(!) TV. And that (SAT TV) was the question.
But the way, you are ignoring those repeated questions is anyway answer enough.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:19:03 pm »

Delete Cable, Insert Satellite.  Same answer.  If the delivery includes encryption, we can't support it.  We're not part of the club.

What is CI?

NickF

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:35:28 pm »

What is CI?
CI stands for Common Interface for CAM cards.  See this tuner card spec with CI support:

http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6991-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-dual-ci-pcie-card.html

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »

So CAM must be Europe's equivalent of Cablecard in the U.S.

CAM=Conditional Access Module

NickF

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 04:13:07 pm »

Cablecard is the actual card provided by the cable company.

CAM is, I think, the physical card slot which reads the cards.

See SBR's post here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77501.msg525653#msg525653

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

husmoaschta

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 02:38:53 pm »

Delete Cable, Insert Satellite.  Same answer.  If the delivery includes encryption, we can't support it.  We're not part of the club.

What is CI?

You don't have to be part of any "club". The CA-Module with it's inserted card is doing the job of decrypting channels (even up to four parallel at the same time, if you have multiple tuners ...).

Your software only has to have the access to the Common Interface implemented (like almost every TV-software has ...)

I just can't believe, that your developers don't know about that system. Half the world (with SAT-TV) is using it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »

We're in the U.S.  Where are you?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 03:15:04 pm »

The US doesn't use these modules, they have more evil and less usable concepts.

I don't have SAT myself, but DVB-C with encrypted channels, which should be the same CAM/CI concept (I hope?)
From what I know, you need to support the CAMs in every specific DVB-S/C tuner card though, as there is no central standard to use, so its quite a bit messy (for example, TBS linked above have their own SDK to work with, and so do other vendors)

First step would be investigating first which devices are the most popular and are even worth supporting.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

husmoaschta

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 11:16:25 am »

We're in the U.S.  Where are you?

I'm in Europe. So you're only developing for US-market?

husmoaschta

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:14 pm »

I don't have SAT myself, but DVB-C with encrypted channels, which should be the same CAM/CI concept (I hope?)

It is the same concept. Only smartcards are different.

From what I know, you need to support the CAMs in every specific DVB-S/C tuner card though, as there is no central standard to use, so its quite a bit messy (for example, TBS linked above have their own SDK to work with, and so do other vendors)

There is a driver-standard, called BDA for Windows.
From what I know, only special features need special treatment, like MTD or cascaded CAM-support (more than one CI).

First step would be investigating first which devices are the most popular and are even worth supporting.

First brand, to deal with, should be Digital Devices, since they are offering the full spectrum of dvb-products. Also they are always in contact with sw-developers.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 12:10:13 pm »

I know of DBA and MC uses it to access DVB devices, but as far as I know its not necessarily enough to get encrypted content to work.

But we'll certainly investigate.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

husmoaschta

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 05:35:42 pm »

But we'll certainly investigate.

I'm not an economist, but I could imagine rising sales at least in Europe as soon as MC has a full-featured DVB-part.

At this moment there is only one all-in-one mediacenter-SW out, and that is MediaPortal.
Unfortunately they are developing two branches of the SW at the same time, and it seems to me, that a lot of "bling-bling" is more
importat for them than a rock-solid AV/TV-solution.

It would be really good, to have a serious alternative with focus on picture-/sound-quality and not on loads of features, that never will be more than "half-baked" ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up