INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eliminating FIOS STBs  (Read 1151 times)

1JPLer

• Recent member
Eliminating FIOS STBs
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »

Howdy,

I'm new to the forum. I've been doing a lot of reading but I'm still not sure if I understand how MC would work if I use it in conjunction with cable card tuners such as the HDHomeRun Prime. My goal is to eliminate all my Verizon STBs (set-top boxes). There are currently 5 of them in the house. Assuming I have enough channels available on the M-card(s) and tuners, would a single license of MC be able to support all five TVs? Or would I need a MC client for each, meaning 5 paid licenses (one will act as server/client)? I saw something about configuring zones in MC but wasn't sure if that would address this need or not. I am aware that I would probably need a media extender for each TV (we will not be watching TV on computers) or if all the TVs are DLNA compatible, then it seems like the HomeRun Prime solution might eliminate the need for all those extenders.

So, how far off is my grasp of this? I am in the process of building the HTPC right now, and have not downloaded MC yet but if it will do what I hope it will without having to buy 5 licenses, I am good to go. If there is existing documentation that covers this, and I missed finding it in my searches, feel free to point me to it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Eliminating FIOS STBs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:50 pm »

Welcome.  You can use one license on all your PC's.

Here's how:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

1JPLer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:13:08 pm »

What took you so long?  ;D

Thanks!

1JPLer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:57:10 pm »

I have a follow-on question: if I am serving TV using DLNA, would I be able to use a remote control at that client to control MC? Or would I have to have a computer or media extender device to be able to use a remote control with MC from the client?

Thanks again,

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up