INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping to MKV with Seamless Branching  (Read 6378 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Ripping to MKV with Seamless Branching
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:49:31 am »

So I think I have TV shows sorted out now. I still need to read the documentation on how to automate MakeMKV to speed things up a bit, and every so often MakeMKV complains about dropping frames to fix sync issues (which means I just cancel conversion and leave that title as an ISO because I don't know what to do...) but it mostly seems to be working well for me now, and I've freed up a lot of disk space in doing this.

What about Blu-rays which use seamless branching?
I just picked up a disc today that has both the theatrical cut and extended cut on it, and uses seamless branching to split them:
Code: [Select]
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 26, 20, 27, 28, 21, 42, 43, 29, 44, 30, 45, 31, 47, 32 - Normal
14, 34, 16, 35, 18, 36, 20, 37, 28, 38, 42, 39, 29, 40, 30, 70, 31, 71, 32 - Extended

Now that Media Center/LAV Filters has support for this sort of thing, I was wondering if there was actually an easy way to create a single MKV file with both titles in it?

As far as I can see, MakeMKV will let me rip both to separate MKV files, but then you have two items in your library that total 61.8GB
You could of course just rip the disc itself, but that's 41GB and means you have to deal with title selection each time. (there are four versions on it)

If I add up all of those segments, it only totals 33.7GB - and would probably be less than 30GB once you only have the DTS-HD audio track.

But I can't see an easy way to actually create that file. Are there any tools that make this easy?

And something else I was wondering, was how to deal with discs that have both a director's cut and a theatrical cut, but go about it in a "dumb" way.
My Blu-ray of Leon splits a 40GB disc into two 20GB files (roughly) but as far as I know, there aren't actually any scenes that were deleted in the director's cut, only additions. So I was wondering if there was some way to rip the Director's Cut and simply use timecodes to have both in a single file. (I suppose getting those timecodes right is where it gets tricky, if they didn't include chapter markers for the new scenes though)

Castius

Re: Ripping to MKV with Seamless Branching
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:56:16 am »

Great question I'll be watching this thread.
I Wonder if a particle would play seamless?

C-FMC

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:15:09 am »

perhaps this is what your looking for : xin1generator ?

Xin1Generator is an application that simplifies generating Matroska files from seamlessly branched Blu-ray and HD DVD titles.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:10:53 am »

perhaps this is what your looking for : xin1generator ?
Thank you!

It requires a bit more setup, and took a little longer than I would have liked - it extracts the files and then you have to manually merge them together in MKV Toolnix, but Xin1Generator seems to have done exactly what I was looking for with titles that use seamless branching:

I'll have to actually watch it to see if there are any issues during playback, but from a quick scan through, everything seems to be working as you might hope - and the resulting MKV was only 25.4GB rather than the 33.7GB I counted for the individual segments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up