INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace existing files with higher quality ones, without losing tags?  (Read 1439 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen

hi,

My digital music library has been growing since the late 90's (Jukebox, back then! :). Most of my CD's are ripped in lower quality MP3, due to space constraints but also 'cause i didn't know better.
I'd like to re-rip my CD's to higher quality now (will look at other threads what the common suggestions are...) - but am not sure what the best way is to it: Of course, all the play stat and tags should be applied to the 'new' version of the songs.
The only way I can think of is 1) ripping songs to a different folder, 2) manually replacing the existing files with the new ones file manager, and  3) tell MCenter to update files from library. Sounds like a very painful process, which i need to do manually CD by CD.

Any tips any one to do it more automated?

thanks!

• Citizen of the Universe

I wonder if you could use the "Rename, Move, and Copy" tool’s "Update database to point to new location" feature to accomplish this.

I'm not sure if it will handle the change of formats nicely though.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

There's been a few posts about this. My favorite is to rename the files with the new extension in MC, then replace them physically on disk.

I haven't really done this recently so I don't know for sure if MC provides easier ways.

Here's the details.

rjm

Here is another method that works pretty good...

Select old album, ctrl-c to copy tags, select new album, ctrl-shift-v to paste tags.

If desired, delete old album and rename/move new album.

Ferdi

• World Citizen

thanks guys for quick response, both ways I hadn't thought off! Will give it a shot tonight!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Here is another method that works pretty good...

Select old album, ctrl-c to copy tags, select new album, ctrl-shift-v to paste tags.

If desired, delete old album and rename/move new album.

Does that copy all fields or just the visible ones?
Pages: [1]   Go Up