INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safer conversion & deleting  (Read 1530 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Safer conversion & deleting
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:06:51 am »

A number of times now, I've run into issues during conversions where something has gone wrong, and files have been deleted.

For example, I used to rip to FLAC+CUE for gapless playback, so when pulling those albums off an old drive, and then using Media Center to convert them to individual ALAC tracks (I love that this is a one-step process) a number of times in the conversion process Media Center has deleted the source FLAC file after the first track has been converted, causing everything else to fail. Not a major issue, as I can just find the CD and rip it again (actually, probably best that I do, considering how long ago they were ripped)

Or - once or twice - I've ended up with a corrupt file after conversion. This has caused me to move back to dBpoweramp for it when I already have individual tracks, as it performs verification before deletion.

And I just started to watch a video I downloaded off YouTube via my browser, and launched it in Media Center from Explorer.
I stopped playback just before the end of the video, switched from the current tab (which was on my "recent imports" view) over to the tab for my video zone, hit Shift+Delete+Enter... and deleted an album.

While it had switched over to displaying the tab for my Video Zone's Now Playing list, focus was still on the last album I had imported.

Can we have the option to send files to the Recycle Bin after conversion, rather than deleting them?
Similarly, can we either have Shift+Delete send files to the recycle bin, or have a shortcut for that? Delete only removes items off a playlist, rather than deleting the file.

And it seems that focus should follow the tabs you have selected, rather than remaining where it was last.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Safer conversion & deleting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:13:19 am »

can we either have Shift+Delete send files to the recycle bin, or have a shortcut for that? Delete only removes items off a playlist, rather than deleting the file.

Shift delete pops up a Confirm Action dialog box that has 'Remove from Media Library and send to the Recycle Bin' selected by default. A regular delete would delete it from a playlist or remove from library only.

I never had a file permanently deleted (delete from disk in the above popup dialog) by default, I always had to select that option manually.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:28 am »

Bear in mind, if the Recycle Bin is disabled for any reason, the Windows behavior is to delete.  So, network drives delete without recycling.  If the Recycle Bin is disabled for a drive manually, same thing.

In the storage thread, you had some issue with a corrupt Recycle Bin.  Perhaps yours is hosed on some or all of your local disks?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:43:08 am »

Shift delete pops up a Confirm Action dialog box that has 'Remove from Media Library and send to the Recycle Bin' selected by default. A regular delete would delete it from a playlist or remove from library only.
Exactly - I wanted to delete the video that I had just watched, so I hit Shift+Delete and Enter - which should do just that.
However, selection focus had not shifted from the files that were selected in the tab I had previously been viewing, so I inadvertently deleted an album I had just ripped instead of the video I just played.

If there was another shortcut, or an option to change Shift+Delete to send files to the Recycle Bin instead, I wouldn't have to dig out the CD and rip it again. (I just ripped another batch of discs over the weekend, stored the CDs away, and was finishing up tagging them)

I never had a file permanently deleted (delete from disk in the above popup dialog) by default, I always had to select that option manually.
With conversion, your only options are:
  • Replace original file on disk and in library - this deletes the file, which can be disastrous if you are splitting files, or the conversion is bad. Files should only ever be deleted after the conversion is finished and the files have been verified. There doesn't seem to be a verification stage at all - I usually only find out when trying to add tags and I get an error.
  • Leave original file; add destination to library - this leaves files on the drive eating up free space.
  • Leave original file; do not add destination file to library - again, duplicate files.
I think the order in which files are deleted should be changed, and I would like the option to have Media Center move files to the Recycle Bin here, rather than deleting them after conversion.

In the storage thread, you had some issue with a corrupt Recycle Bin.  Perhaps yours is hosed on some or all of your local disks?
This was actually just related to how DriveBender operates. Basically it will (always?) corrupt the Recycle Bin if you stop using the drive pooling feature and return to using your disks as individual drives. http://support.drivebender.com/entries/22281856-I-am-getting-a-corrupt-recycle-bin-message-how-do-I-fix-this-

I have since reinstalled my OS and formatted the disks again though, so that's unrelated to any of this.
My issue is that Media Center doesn't give you a quick way to send files to the Recycle Bin - only delete them or remove them from a playlist, and doesn't give you an option to use the Recycle Bin at all during file conversion.

I've been using dBpoweramp for conversion without any issues this weekend - but dBpoweramp doesn't give me the option to split my old FLAC+CUE files into individual tracks.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:59:18 am »

With conversion, your only options are:
  • Replace original file on disk and in library - this deletes the file, which can be disastrous if you are splitting files, or the conversion is bad. Files should only ever be deleted after the conversion is finished and the files have been verified. There doesn't seem to be a verification stage at all - I usually only find out when trying to add tags and I get an error.
  • Leave original file; add destination to library - this leaves files on the drive eating up free space.
  • Leave original file; do not add destination file to library - again, duplicate files.
I think the order in which files are deleted should be changed, and I would like the option to have Media Center move files to the Recycle Bin here, rather than deleting them after conversion.

My statement was about shift-deleting files, not files deleted from a failed conversion. I agree with you that the conversion could see better options and deletions should go to the recycle bin rather than being permanently removed. It has been suggested before on several occasions.

I would love to see the option to add new file to library, remove old from library but leave file on disk.

Pages: [1]   Go Up