INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Effort At JRiver For Mac  (Read 2605 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
First Effort At JRiver For Mac
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:05:22 pm »

Although I made an early purchase when JRiver for Mac was first offered I just put my toe in the water for the first time and imported my first album. It took me a bit of hunt and peck to figure out how to select my DAC it is now playing and first listen is good. As a long time iTunes user and comfortable with navigating through that and software players like Pure Music and Audivrana this is a little intimidating to me at the moment.

My primary concern is should I be importing music (folders) from my iTunes file/folder structure on my external HDD or should I create/copy a library onto a new HDD.

Is there a manual of any sort with various screen shots or is the JRiver Wiki page the only resource.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: First Effort At JRiver For Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »

Hey! I too have a mix of audio players for my Mac Mini. Audirvana, Pure Music and Media Center. I have been using Media Center almost exclusively over the past month. To play a mix of Redbook, Hi Res, and DSD files.

To answer you question, the answer is no you do not need to create a separate instance of your music files. Probably one thing I do different than you, is I do not not let iTunes organize my Music library, which is just personal choice. Regardless, I can load Audirvana with iTunes and use all the same music files from the same disk, as when I launch Media Center. Any library information that is used by Media Center is kept in a separate folder(s) than that used by iTunes, so it will not mess with your files. And unlike Audirvana or Pure Music you do not need to do a special import of either FLAC or DSD files.

Happy to answer other questions you may have as I have the advantage of having had more time to tool around with it.

In fact just today I completed moving all music files to a NAS, and I now point to all my music files on the NAS and and the Mac Mini accesses them via wireless (no ethernet handy for the Mac Mini, just for the NAS).

Cheers.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:44:09 am »

The "Getting Started" link in my signature should help.

solrider

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:03:07 pm »

I just did the very same thing today - tried using JRiver Media Center with a single album I downloaded in FLAC from HDTracks. I am researching how to handle a migration of my AIFF, Mp4 and FLAC music files from one NAS (WD ShareSpace) to a new NAS (Synology).

I have been using iTunes forever, and am comfortable with it, but not really a big fan of how the iTunes database works and is organized, etc.

I am trying to decide if better to just use iTunes to transfer the existing library (keeps my playlists and play counts, etc. intact which I like) or build it from scratch and start with a clean slate that iTunes and MC can both pull from (point to?). I am not willing to abandon iTunes yet, but I am open to trying out MC and keeping all options open!

I have been running iTunes on a modded MacMini with Amarra and the CD rips I have made in AIFF really sound phenominal with this setup.

I purchased Audirvana and actually like that also, but Amarra sounds just a little bit better to me on my system.

Would appreciate any ideas, lessons learned, suggestions you all might have, as it sounds like you have been down this path before.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:36:21 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Our wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".  It may help.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:16 am »

I'm experimenting with both MC and Audirvana. Can both coexist on my iMac without issues?

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:24:14 am »

I'm experimenting with both MC and Audirvana. Can both coexist on my iMac without issues?
Yes, but you *might* have to occasionally reboot when switching apps.  I have MC and Pure Music on one machine and have no issues whatsoever.  At least I didn't before switching to JRiver full time. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos
Pages: [1]   Go Up