INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard/remote control not working when Media Center window not in focus  (Read 25483 times)

BranislavG

• Recent member

When I switch to another application and the JMC window loses focus, the keboard control for play/pause, previous/next do not work, neither does the remote control of my USB-connected M-DAC. Is this behavior normal? If not, how can I fix this issue?

I am running Win 8 x64. I haven't done any changes to the default configuration, apart from the output setup. Am I missing something? I'll be thankful for any suggestions, as this is starting to get pretty annoying.

===PREVIOUS POST TEXT, PLEASE, DO NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT====================================
Hey there,

first of all, I want to say I am rather happy with my JMC 18, however, there is one glitch.

I have an Audiolab M-DAC connected via USB and use WASAPI event style as the output method.
As for the JMC, I use pretty much out-of-the-box config.

I used the M-DAC's remote without issues with foobar2000, but after switching to Media Center, the problems started:

I am able to use the remote control functions (play/pause, stop, previous/next, mute&pause) only during the first track played after launching JMC - after that, the only control that partially works is mute, but only partially, asi it doesn't pause the playback as it is suppoed to.

I was told byt the MDAC designer this might be some HID media control implementation issue in JMC, since the remote control functions work perfectly in other programs.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audiolab M-DAC remote control/HID support
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:45:26 am »

Welcome to the forum. 

It's a problem I don't recall seeing.

Please try build 188, available in a thread at the top of this board.

What are you using for a remote?  You could read about Media Center Remote on our wiki.  You may find an idea there. 

Also try the Media Keys settings.

Do the keys on a keyboard work?

BranislavG

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:33:04 am »

Welcome to the forum.  

What are you using for a remote?  You could read about Media Center Remote on our wiki.  You may find an idea there.  

Hello Jim and thanks for replying.

I tried the build and a new, probably unrelated problem occurred - after pausing the playback even with the program's own controls, after trying to resume, the playback seemingly resumed, but I was getting no sound. After returning to the official build, everything was alright in this matter.

EDIT: I probably nailed the cause of this behavior - the situation is a little bit different - the remote works ONLY when the JMC window is in focus - after I switch to another program and use the remote, it does not work, but neither does the keyboard and it doesn't matter which media key mode I use - all work (or rather don't) the same.

Is there any fix for this? You can completely forget the remote, as this is not the cause. To clarify, I am not able to control JMC even with the keyboard and even when JMC loses focus to the desktop and not just programs that require keyboard input.

EDIT 2: I tried the new build 188 again, just to be sure and the problem remains. Apart from that, I am hearing a pop every 5-6 seconds.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:03:16 pm »

Welcome to the forum. 

What are you using for a remote?  You could read about Media Center Remote on our wiki.  You may find an idea there. 

Jim I have had the problem forever with the MC remote not working unless the screen is in focus. I am talking specifically about Theater View. We have two monitors one is a small screen used primarily for Standard View. The other is a large screen that shows MC whenever Theater View is selected.

If I have been working on the small screen in Standard View using the mouse and then switch to Theater View on the large screen the MC remote doesn't work. I must take the mouse and click over to the large screen which gives it focus. The Remote then works in Theater View.

I have seen many other posts about this issue.

Thanks,
Rod

BranislavG

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:27:28 pm »

Jim I have had the problem forever with the MC remote not working unless the screen is in focus. I am talking specifically about Theater View. We have two monitors one is a small screen used primarily for Standard View. The other is a large screen that shows MC whenever Theater View is selected.

If I have been working on the small screen in Standard View using the mouse and then switch to Theater View on the large screen the MC remote doesn't work. I must take the mouse and click over to the large screen which gives it focus. The Remote then works in Theater View.

Thanks,
Rod

Hi Rod,

this seems to be an input problem with Media Center in general - I don't have the Media Center remote, but the issue has probably the same basis - the way MC handles USB HID input, wheter it's a DAC connected via a USB cable or a USB wireless transceiver for a remote control or a wireless keyboard - when MC loses focus in any mode, it doesn't register input from any of them... I work as a translator and have music playing constantly as I work. Having to switch to MC window and go hunting with the mose for the appropriate controls is much less convenient than punching a key on the keyboard or, as in my case, a button on a DAC or its remote. Foobar2000 doesn't have any problems with this, so beats me...

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:41:05 pm »

Hi Rod,

this seems to be an input problem with Media Center in general - I don't have the Media Center remote, but the issue has probably the same basis - the way MC handles USB HID input, wheter it's a DAC connected via a USB cable or a USB wireless transceiver for a remote control or a wireless keyboard - when MC loses focus in any mode, it doesn't register input from any of them... I work as a translator and have music playing constantly as I work. Having to switch to MC window and go hunting with the mose for the appropriate controls is much less convenient than punching a key on the keyboard or, as in my case, a button on a DAC or its remote. Foobar2000 doesn't have any problems with this, so beats me...

Sometimes we remember to use the mouse to click on the large screen, but too often we get settled into our reclining love seat, remote in hand, and zilch: Have to go back to the PC and mouse over to the large screen.

Not good for WAF or HAF!

Cheers,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator

Thanks,
Rod
Run Media Center Server at Windows start.  Disable Windows Media Center.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

Run Media Center Server at Windows start.  Disablee. Windows Media Center.

Thanks Jim.  I've long had 'Run Media Center Server at Windows start'. Darned if I can find where to Disable WMC though. Actually WMC is not on our Windows 7 machine.

Cheers,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator

Use the search box at the bottom of options.

Also try changing the Media Keys setting.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago.

I'll bet someone posted about it a couple of years ago.

It's not a bug, just an annoyance.

Workaround - if you go into the Remote Control area in Options, then if you Learn a key and assign it to a standard Media key function (like Play/Pause) then it works "globally" i.e. without needing focus.

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Thanks Jim.  I've long had 'Run Media Center Server at Windows start'. Darned if I can find where to Disable WMC though. Actually WMC is not on our Windows 7 machine.

Cheers,
Rod

Rod

There are various sources of guidance out there on the interweb to axe WMC. This is just one of them:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15530/uninstall-disable-or-remove-windows-7-media-center/

While searching out in the cloud, I did find this cautionary tale:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2606237
Better than going in   8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Hi Rod,

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago.

I'll bet someone posted about it a couple of years ago.

It's not a bug, just an annoyance.

Workaround - if you go into the Remote Control area in Options, then if you Learn a key and assign it to a standard Media key function (like Play/Pause) then it works "globally" i.e. without needing focus.

I've got an HD-Plex case and built it with their IR remote for an integrated look:
http://www.hd-plex.com/hdplex-internal-mce-ir-remote-control.html
The remote in the case is driven from the outside world by a Logitech Harmony unit. All works fine after a little configuration.

Just as kstuart outlined and in my situation, I discovered that when I selected:
Options > Remote Control > Device & Options > Microsoft MCE
the remote didn't work.

So, I just went for the next obvious device in the list, i.e. Remote, keyboard, gamepad, or other HID and kicked in the learning function.

Sure it's not the most convenient way to kick a goal but it does work.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

BranislavG

• Recent member

I've got an HD-Plex case and built it with their IR remote for an integrated look:
http://www.hd-plex.com/hdplex-internal-mce-ir-remote-control.html
The remote in the case is driven from the outside world by a Logitech Harmony unit. All works fine after a little configuration.

Just as kstuart outlined and in my situation, I discovered that when I selected:
Options > Remote Control > Device & Options > Microsoft MCE
the remote didn't work.

So, I just went for the next obvious device in the list, i.e. Remote, keyboard, gamepad, or other HID and kicked in the learning function.

Sure it's not the most convenient way to kick a goal but it does work.

Thanks for the workaround, astromo,

sure enough, it worked! I was not able to use the M-DAC remote's mute/pause button for learning, but that's probably because it controls the M-DAC volume as well, not just sends the command on. The regular play/pause, stop and previous/next buttons now work perfectly after learning, thanks again.

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the workaround, astromo,

sure enough, it worked! I was not able to use the M-DAC remote's mute/pause button for learning, but that's probably because it controls the M-DAC volume as well, not just sends the command on. The regular play/pause, stop and previous/next buttons now work perfectly after learning, thanks again.

I'm glad you got yourself sorted...   ;)

As a side note, I'm routinely pleased at how MC's design philosophy has allowed for multiple ways to skin the cat. I've found the trick is to nut out what the "trick" is. Sometimes, while I've been waiting for a forum answer, trial & error assessment of the software configuration can pay off.

BranislavG

• Recent member

I'm glad you got yourself sorted...   ;)

As a side note, I'm routinely pleased at how MC's design philosophy has allowed for multiple ways to skin the cat. I've found the trick is to nut out what the "trick" is. Sometimes, while I've been waiting for a forum answer, trial & error assessment of the software configuration can pay off.

Ask a share, you've probably saved them a customer! :D

And that's pretty much true - I've been hovering around the remote control settings already before I went off to sleep, I might have bumped into that one eventually. Nonetheless, I owe you a virtual pint! :D

kstuart

Nonetheless, I owe you a virtual pint! :D
Probably a more viable virtual currency than Bitcoin ! :D

BranislavG

• Recent member

Probably a more viable virtual currency than Bitcoin ! :D

... which will always retain its value...  ;D

astromo

• MC Beta Team

... which will always retain its value...  ;D

Nice work dude. I like your thinking. Fortunately my fridge at home has the virtual pint conversion app...   ;D

BranislavG

• Recent member

Nice work dude. I like your thinking. Fortunately my fridge at home has the virtual pint conversion app...   ;D

A smart fridge on so many levels.  ;D

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

JimH, BranislavG, Kstuart, & astromo,

Thanks very much for all the information and suggestions. I am still having the focus problem, but as long as I have focus the remote has always worked fine. BTW I have the JRiver HP receiver and am using a Harmony One set up as a MCE remote.

Finally got some time to work on this. I have Run Media Center Server at Windows start and Windows Media Center disabled now.

I tried to follow the suggestions from Kstuart - Workaround - if you go into the Remote Control area in Options, then if you Learn a key and assign it to a standard Media key function (like Play/Pause) then it works "globally" i.e. without needing focus.

When I try to Learn a key I get this warning - This command should not be learned if you are using an MCE remote. (I am.) MCE remotes handle this command automatically and learning will result in duplicated commands. So I didn't try that. Perhaps Kstuart did this with a non MCE remote.

Thanks again guys for the efforts.

Cheers,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator

Thanks very much for all the information and suggestions. I am still having the focus problem, but as long as I have focus the remote has always worked fine. BTW I have the JRiver HP receiver and am using a Harmony One set up as a MCE remote.
Does the Media Center Remote work?

In the Remote settings, try disabling MC Remote and using HID only.  Or the other way around.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

Does the Media Center Remote work?

In the Remote settings, try disabling MC Remote and using HID only.  Or the other way around.

When you say Media Center Remote I take it you mean the HP MCE remote that I got from JRiver. Yes it works fine just as the Harmony One does emulating an MCE remote. The problem with both is that if focus is on the small screen and I try to use the remote to do something with MC18 Theater View on the large screen neither remote will work. I must click the mouse onto the large screen to give it focus. Both remotes then work fine.

Thanks for trying to help.

Rod

Added on edit: In Remote Control setup I had both MCE Remote and HID selected. I tried both of them by themselves and it didn't help.

kstuart

" Perhaps Kstuart did this with a non MCE remote." No it was an MCE remote

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

" Perhaps Kstuart did this with a non MCE remote." No it was an MCE remote

Did you get the warning about duplicate commands being issued? I'm interested in how you went about this.

Thanks,
Rod

kstuart

No warning.  A JRiver person would have to clarify what causes the warning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up