INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boohoo pc crapped out this morning  (Read 3210 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Boohoo pc crapped out this morning
« on: May 18, 2013, 07:41:33 am »

It started up, speed fan hung on scanning devices. I kill it, reboot, enter the efi setup, effectively exiting without changing anything. I reboot, speed fan does the same thing so I reset  its config And it still does it.

I reboot agAin meaning to boot into windows 8 but the pc hangs on press del to enter setup.

I try that but it's unresponsive. I clear the CMOS, same thing hangs on press del message.

I disconnected everything to leave a minimal system too. I swapped memory around and tried without memory (force beeps but it didn't do that either).

Right. So I disassemble the htpc, swap the CPUs and my pc with the i5 doesn't even show a message. It just goes on and off and on and off. The htpc with my i7 boots up.

I figured either the main board or the PSU broke so I checked for warranty. I freaked out because today is the last day I have warranty. I bought this stuff exactly 2 years ago.

I'm at the shop now he's checking everything.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Boohoo pc crapped out this morning
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:36:23 am »

Back home again without a mainboard, its dead. MSI takes. 3 to 5 weeks to return :'(.

I'll temporarily work on the htpc but needless to say, this sucks.

The only good thing about this is the timing :).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »

I'll say - it is "normal" for it to fail one day AFTER the wty expires.  They must have got their forced obsolescence clock set slightly wrong :)
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:27:54 am »

BOOOOHOOO! Now my xbox360 died as well  :'(

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 05:31:02 am »

Lightening strike?  We once lost a bunch of stuff over a day or so after a hit on the Cable Line (jumped to our connected devices on the NW).
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 06:07:35 am »

Not that I'm aware of.

The xbox was knocked over by my wife accidently during dusting last week, it dropped 3 feet down. It worked a few times but now after 10 minutes of playing it gives the Red Ring of Death.

I opened it up today to see if a cooler was loose or something but everything looks fine inside.

Bad karma ...  :-\

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 06:17:55 am »

Perfect timing with the new Xbox to be released in a couple of days!
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 06:19:54 am »

Not released, announced.

Release won't be until christmas or early next year.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:38 am »

What a "release" without stock - No Way  ;D  I remember when IBM released OS/2... they had a part number and a price so it was "released".... shipping was another matter.
JRiver CEO Elect

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:38:25 am »

<snip>Red Ring of Death.
Sounds painful!

Without bad luck, you'd have no luck at all, right? :)
At least you're there. The last time I had drive failure, I was an hour or so in to a four hour drive, then 3 days away from home. No Gizmo, calls from home that the HTPC was busted... that was a pain.

My fisrt PC, an off the shelf Packard Bell number, had an MSI board, and it caught fire! I've avoided MSI ever since.
Good luck with new hardware, can you claim the xbox on the home insurance?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 07:50:18 am »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.On the bright side you didnt lose any irreplaceable data.

Check that home insurance and maybe invest in some spouse protectors..er, I mean surge protectors  ;)

I'm sure you only attract good karma,InflatableMouse, so better stuff likely to be coming your way !

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 09:08:14 am »

It may have just been the cap plague for the motherboard, and the RRoD is pretty common with the 360.  Had you ever replaced the 360 before?  I know lots of people on their third or fourth xbox.

I've also had bad reliability with the few MSI boards I've owned, and I now avoid them.  Never anything catching fire, but every single one has had some kind of oddball trouble (two that had SATA problems, and one that died something like what happened with you -- though mine was out of warranty).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:13:29 am »

Sounds painful!

If you ever had a really good chili, you found out the next morning it is!

I'm sure you only attract good karma,InflatableMouse, so better stuff likely to be coming your way !

Thanks Samson.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:41:12 am »

It may have just been the cap plague for the motherboard, and the RRoD is pretty common with the 360.  Had you ever replaced the 360 before?  I know lots of people on their third or fourth xbox.

It was my 8th. I got it on the introduction day and in 2 years time I swapped it 6 times, all under warranty. That 7th I gave to my son in law which broke like 6 months ago. Then I bought the first incarnation of the Halo limited edition for myself and it worked fine for years, until today.

It is by far the worst piece of hardware I have ever had, seen or heard of! The only reason I would buy another piece of hardware from Microsoft (ie, the Next xbox :P) is because their service is absolutely top notch.

I've also had bad reliability with the few MSI boards I've owned, and I now avoid them.  Never anything catching fire, but every single one has had some kind of oddball trouble (two that had SATA problems, and one that died something like what happened with you -- though mine was out of warranty).

I bought this board without any prior investigation. I always investigate days before, reading tests, reviews etc. This was my first MSI board and honestly, it is was one of the finest boards I have ever had. If it hadn't broke down my next board would be another MSI. I bought an MSI this time around because the 3 or 4 Asus boards and 1 gigabyte all gave me trouble. One wouldn't work with AHCI and was incompatible with SSD's, another required me to configure memory manually because SPD wasn't working right and on one other I had to use a patched, unofficial firmware because Asus in their infinite wisdom hid features which I needed to get it stable. And yet another one woudn't run memory on 200mhz with a 200mhz FSB (long time ago :P), I had to disable dual channel or bring it down to 166mhz. In fact, all of them required me to change advanced settings to get them perfectly stable.

The first thing I do when I install a new board, cpu and/or memory is run memtest86, prime and some other tools. This MSI board was the first board in a long time that came faultless  out of a nights' run with memtest and did 24 hours of prime95 without a failure, on BIOS defaults. Given my previous experiences, I was impressed. I'm less impressed now though as things shouldn't break down after 2 years.

Tomorrow I need to call the shop again. I left my CPU and memory on the board, its still in their test lab. :o

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 01:44:31 pm »

Finally .... today I received a call that MSI determined the board is dead. No kidding, Sherlocks!

The shop offered me an Asus P8P67 EVO B3. I'll take it, I could also wait for a credit which is going to be substantially less.

Means I'm getting my HTPC back up and running (which I'm using as my workstation now).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »

No kidding, Sherlocks!

Wizards.  No wonder it took so long.  :P
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 02:55:11 am »

Don't get the P8P67 if you have a Corsair AX Gold power supply. (won't sleep properly) Otherwise, it should be fine.
With my current system I've had quite bad luck and had the motherboard swapped out a few times, and the graphics card twice. (the GPU was because they sent me an "equivalent" card as a fast replacement, rather than waiting on stock for the card I sent in)

Anyway, last time that happened, I decided that what I was going to do would be to buy a new motherboard and sell the returned unit whenever it came back.
My time is worth more than what I would lose from doing this.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 04:36:28 am »

Antec CP-850 PSU.

I can pick up the board this afternoon, sounds like I'll be hobbying my pc back together tonight :P.

My plan is to wait for the new Haswell based NUC's (and the reviews) and use that as my new HTPC. My current HTPC will then be moved upstairs as a homeserver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up