INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harddisk sleep; logging?  (Read 1561 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Harddisk sleep; logging?
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:33:35 pm »

I've been searching for this but I'm not having much luck.

Now that I've basically gone back to JBOD's in my system I find that seemingly random browsing folders hangs for a few seconds before showing its contents. I assume its because a harddisk has spun down and needs to wake up.

HDD sleep is set to 30 minutes. What I'm unable to find is whether that is 30 minutes of idle system time or actual disk usage?

Also, when I open a disk, it often shows the root of the drive instantly, but accessing a folder makes it hang for a few seconds. Is that how it works with a sleeping drive? Like the root of the drive is shown from cache so it doesn't wake the drive unnecessarily or something?

I wish I could see from a log when each drive sleeps and wakes up, or a simple program showing red or green for each drive indicating its active or asleep.

Re: Harddisk sleep; logging?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:41 pm »

Pretty sure it's disk activity. If nothing has tried to access that disk within 30 minutes, it will sleep.
I don't like my drives sleeping. The power savings are mostly negligible - about 10W with 5 HDDs, I hate the delays/hangs when the drives are waking up, and sleeping/waking the drive puts additional strain on it, reducing its lifespan.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:18:46 pm »

Pretty sure it's disk activity. If nothing has tried to access that disk within 30 minutes, it will sleep.
I don't like my drives sleeping. The power savings are mostly negligible - about 10W with 5 HDDs, I hate the delays/hangs when the drives are waking up, and sleeping/waking the drive puts additional strain on it, reducing its lifespan.

This.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 01:42:09 am »

The hanging might be due to this
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:49:31 am »

Yeh its the sleeping drives.

What's weird is that it shows the root of the drive when I browse it and wakes up if I browse deeper. It should show and wake at opening the drive. Also the fact that you can't configure it to sleep with system inactivity but uses its own counters instead is just borked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up